Charles Baker in Newark 1901

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charles Baker in Newark 1901

The London Gazette in 1901 mentions the will of one of my rellies, (P.R.Goulson), one of the executors is a Charles Baker, engineer, of Newark.

Also in my tree is a Charles Baker born c1845 in London.
    Charles married Mary Ann Askwith, Lincoln 1868 and had children with Mary in Newark between 1873 and 1885. A son later went on to marry one of the Goulson girls.

I did have the census returns on my old pc but they are long gone, i seem to remember that this Charles was a gunsmith or gun dealer. Is it possible that it's the same Charles Baker? It just seems a bit of a leap between the occupations.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Yes, Charles Baker born 1845 London and married to Mary Ann is living in Newark on the 1901 census, occupation Whitesmith.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I'd have thought that engineering skills and gunsmithery could have a number of overlaps.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
        Yes, Charles Baker born 1845 London and married to Mary Ann is living in Newark on the 1901 census, occupation Whitesmith.
        That seems more in keeping with the general occupations of the Goulson family, there are several members of the Goulson family listed as blacksmith/whitesmith.

The other executor is Joseph Goulson, compositor, by 1901 the majority of the Goulson family had started to drift away from Lincoln to one degree or another.

Where on earth did i get the gunsmith connection from??
        *edit*
        Just found the 1891 census image, family living at Eldon St, Newark and Charles recorded as whitesmith. I must have dreamt the gunsmith thing up!!!

By the looks of it the families may have crossed paths through business initially and that lead to the Goulson/Baker marriage some years later.
        Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 02-04-09, 13:14.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Working...
        X