Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to find why a street was named the way it was.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to find why a street was named the way it was.

I have come across a grave of a John Brewerton in Knaresbrough.
    He was born about 1756 and is on the 1841. He was married to a Helen unless he is buried with his sister.
    I have traced him via Pigot to 1829 living at Ings Cottage and 1833 living in Brewerton street.
    I would like to find out if the street was named after him or his family.
    I have searched on Google. Have contacted the West Yorkshire archives who can't help and have sent an e-mail to Knaresborough on line, no reply yet.
    Can't find him on the LDS.
    Have a possibility on my study but he was born in Horbury.
    Any thoughts on road name and how to find out any more info on him?
    Many thanks.
    If it's to be, it's up to me.
    Searching for:
    English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

A local chap traced the history of the street he lives in and linked the name (Lukes Brae) to the Luke family back in the early/mid 1800's.

Previously the street had been called something different and he used wills and probate records along with local history documents (and the local history group) to piece it all together.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

I would suggest finding the phone number of the main library and ringing the reference section if you get no joy anywhere else, as they may be able to put you in touch with a local historian, or even be able to provide the information you need...

Comment

Pre-census, lots of streets/lanes/roads etc didn't have an official name, but were either known by some ancient, long forgotten identity, or took the name of the most important/most prolific family living there.

I have some old references in Wills, to "Holdens Lane". This was not its official name, just called that because it was where Important Mr Holden lived.

OC

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts.
          Brewerton street still exists, in fact there are a few in Yorkshire where there were quite a lot of Brewertons.
          Will try all suggestions.
          Thanks again
          Jeanie
          If it's to be, it's up to me.
          Searching for:
          English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

Hi
            lots of reasons for road names as earlier, as well as obvious things like local builders going for a bit of immortality !

they can , very commonly, be mis pronounced versions of earlier trades or occupations carried out there - brick lane etcetc and versions thereof
            Brewer - beer maker
            Tun/ton - barrel
            ton - township
            So it might be barrel makers road or brewery lane or a hamlet named after Brewer or simply Mr Brewerton was the Town Clerk at the time the road was built !!

Doesn't help but it does point out how varied a history is possible.........

Roger : ))

Comment

There is always the possibility that the Brewertons were a manorial family originally - Brewerton is a very common Lancashire name, in its many variations.

I chased one family through the census. In 1841 and 51 they were at "Jack Kay's Yard". Subsequently, they were still there but the Yard was now called after my family. I doubt this was its official name, just how the yard was known.

If you look at some of the early enumeration schedules, you can see how many rural-ish places had no street names at all and the instructions for the enumerator's walk goes something like

"Up the north side of the High Street to Mr Baines Inn, cross to the south side and starting at the schoolmaster's house, down the south side to Mr Pegg's house" and so on.

One lot of ancestors lived in the charmingly named "Eliza Ann Street" in the early 1850s. The surrounding streets were called Dorothy, William, Martha etc - a clear case of the builder immortalising his wife and children!

OC

Comment

O.C. Knaresbrough is in YORKSHIRE, a common Lancashire name!, I am reeling from the shock...:D Also if Brewerton street is near anything monastic, there is a strong possibility it has something to do with brewing beer.

Comment

Just Barbara

Lancashire was IN Yorkshire until relatively recently (1000 years ago).

Brewerton is a very common name in Lancashire. They can't help it if their roots were in Yorkshire.

OC

Comment

OC don't tell either lot that, you could start a war!

Comment

JB

LOL! I wasn't aware the last one had finished yet...

OC

Comment

Working...
                      X