Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Books, Highwaymen, and my ancester!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Books, Highwaymen, and my ancester!

Hi all,

I have been searching on Google Books, and have come across a fantastic bit of information about one of my ancester's. The only problem is it is one of the books that can not be viewed online :(.

There seems to be some great quote's about him though, and let me put the record straight, he was the keeper of the prison for Birmingham, not a Highwayman!

...minutes in conversation, when he was tapped on the shoulder by Mr. Wooldridge, the keeper of Birmingham prison, who informed him that he was in custody
    Thomas Wooldridge sworn.
    What are you?
    My name is Thomas Wooldridge, and I am the keeper of the Bridewell at Birmingham
    I have sent of an email to Wiltshire RO, so hopefully they will have a copy. I just don't know when I will be able to see it.

But it just goes to show, that there are records out there that can help with this old game, and some records in places' you would never think of looking!
    Families Intrested in
    Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

A facsimile of the original 1845 volume was printed in 1970, and can be found second-hand on many of the book listing services fo about £10 plus p&p. Take a look for it at bookfinder.com

Comment

Thanks for that bit of information, a copy is on its way!
      Families Intrested in
      Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Comment

I don't tend to use google books but I use this site where you can view books online . Some of you may know it for its Yorkshire Parish records but there is lots more than them onsite.
        just type the title of the book or info you are looking for and if you are lucky you might find something Most of the books are out of copyright so you can view them.I found a Biography of my GGG Grandfather in one of the books.Just type what you are searcing for in the Search Box (top left hand corner) and leave it as all media.

Internet Archive

Comment

The Internet Archive is also useful, but Google book search is a mine of information, and they're adding books and magazines all the time, so it's worth checking it out regularly.

I've found some absolutely fantastic information there about various branches of my tree.

Comment

Redacted

Comment

Just about EVERYTHING you find on google books can be ordered through your inter-county library lending service.

The last time I did this, it cost me £2.80, for a book which has only ten known copies.

OC

Comment

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice/comments. I have never used the inter-county library lending service before, in fact I did not know anything like that existed. I will have to ask my local library next time I visit.

It's a shame that most of the records for the Peck Lane Bridewell have been lost, so it is realy good to find a source other than the trade directories that mentiones Thomas by name. I know that Birmingham Archives holds next to nothing on the place. A few mentiones here or there. It was such a bad place that I think people just wanted to forget about it.
                Families Intrested in

Comment

Working...
                X