Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• April edition published

April 2009

This month sees the third issue of our trilogy about the Industrial Revolution. The focus for the lead article by Velma Dinkley is coal, and its subsequent effect on the iron and steel industry. Vicky the Viking has written two articles for us; firstly about discovering her family's mining heritage and secondly the death of her husband's great aunt in an horrific mining accident. Barbara Dodds writes about the fatal accident of an underground worker and Meridian Line describes the inspiring story of her great great grandfather who was orphaned at the age of eight but rose to become a colliery manager and J.P.

Away from the pits, Guinevere writes about her Allenders who were involved in the iron and steel industry and rkic talks about his connections with the Elswick lead works.

The long awaited publication of the 1911 census caused great excitement on the boards and Velma Dinkley records the findings of some of the members. Moulting Owl writes about how the census solved one of her long standing mysteries while Caroline found herself following the trail of a murderer who had a possible connection with her great great grandfather.

In addition, we have an article from Rosie Knees about her great great grandfather and his military career. This month the Spotlight is on the Community boards of the Family Tree Forum and in particular the areas where photography is important. Once again, we are indebted to Roger in Sussex for providing the black and white illustrations on the front page.

We are always grateful to receive feedback on the magazine and would love to hear from anyone who has a story to tell us about any of their genealogical finds.
    You can add your comments and suggestions here or PM Velma or Caroline.

Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Well done to the team and contributors - I shall enjoy reading the articles over the next few days.

One small point - when I click on the Spotlight on FTF link I get

404 - Article #0 not found

Are the illustrations all drawn by Roger? They really add some more interest to the page
    Jackie

Comment

Oops - will investigate.

UPDATE: I have taken it out while I see what is going on. Thanks for the warning. :o
      Last edited by Caroline; 01-04-09, 11:30.
      Caroline
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Everything should be fine now. I forgot to tick a box.

Roger's illustrations come from his copies of the Penny Magazine.

Caroline

Comment

Its working for me now thanks
          Jackie

Comment

oooooooooooo I'm in, I min, I'MIN :D

*looking forward to becoming acquainted with the Allenders*
            Rose

Comment

I have been SPOOKED by Caroline's "skeleton" story.

Several years ago a social acquaintance spoke to a friend and myself about her very complicated family tree and her ongoing efforts to trace and piece together the life story of her mother.
              At one time her mother had been married to an elusive Mr Albert Lewcock, aka Withyman, who had been born in America. So, when his name cropped up near the beginning of Caroline's article, I suddenly felt very cold and all the hairs on the back of my neck stood up!!

Obviously my acquaintance is the same lady who contacted Caroline through GR.
              I was fascinated to learn about Albert's father. It seems that Albert too led a rather dysfunctional life, as also did his second wife, the mother of the lady I know.
              Isn't genealogy a funny world? We expect to unearth our OWN "skeletons", rather than those of people we know.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                I have been SPOOKED by Caroline's "skeleton" story.

Several years ago a social acquaintance spoke to a friend and myself about her very complicated family tree and her ongoing efforts to trace and piece together the life story of her mother.
                At one time her mother had been married to an elusive Mr Albert Lewcock, aka Withyman, who had been born in America. So, when his name cropped up near the beginning of Caroline's article, I suddenly felt very cold and all the hairs on the back of my neck stood up!!

Obviously my acquaintance is the same lady who contacted Caroline through GR.
                I was fascinated to learn about Albert's father. It seems that Albert too led a rather dysfunctional life, as also did his second wife, the mother of the lady I know.
                Isn't genealogy a funny world? We expect to unearth our OWN "skeletons", rather than those of people we know.

Jay
                Sorry to spook you! So the story gets even more weird with more coincidences. I hope our mutual "acquaintance" enjoys reading the article - I have sent her the link.

:D
                Caroline

Comment

Working...
                X