• Show
Clear All

• william john grieves

trying to find parents and siblings of william john grieves

information so far

estimated birth year 1828
    geddington, northamptonshire, england
    occupation-organ builder journeyman

have 1851 census showing him as a 'visitor' with the durrant family, registration district pancras, sub r d somers town.

Marriage 22.7.1860 to eliza jane farley
    old church, saint pancras, london england

son william john born c 1862 england

he migrated after this to australia where his second son charles was born in 1867.

have so far ordered two death certificates and not correct ones, going by year of death, no parents names listed.

any information greatly appreciated

Do you have his marriage certificate, and if so, what does it say for his father's name and occupation?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hiya Vlaho....might be worth a try...Geddington has its own village website...go to Geddington Village :: Home there`s a history thread and a contact us thread....its a long shot but maybe someone from the village MIGHT be able to help....good luck...and welcome to FTF ....have fun....allan
      ADDED..just been on the site and many people have left messages researching family history back to early 1700`s...good luck
      Last edited by garstonite; 01-04-09, 11:00.
      Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
      oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
      adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
      merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
      coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Hi,
        I have found William John Grieves in the 1861 census still living in st Pancras and is listed as a pianoforte maker.A very common occupation for that part. There is also a John Grieves living in St Pancras with wife Ann same census. John was born about 1832 in Geddington. In the 1851 census there appear to be Robert and James Grieves born also in Geddington.Perhaps these are brothes of your man? I would look for possible ancestors using different spellings e.g Greaves. Good Luck.

Comment

william john grieves

thank you to all for replies, i do not have marriage certificate, have posted on 'geddington village' site, thank you for possible siblings names.

much appreciated

Comment

I would say your best bet by far is to get his marriage certificate as that should tell you who his father was, and then you will have something to check any baptism entry against to make sure it is the right one.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

HI

I have to ask are you a member on Rootschat?

If not then you may need to register as I have just helped someone else look for a Robert Grieves and a James Grieves who also had brothers going by the name of William and John all were shown to be born in Geddington.

In the 1841 census William, Robert and John were seen to be transcribed as Greanes living in Church Longton Leicestershire.

But if you are a member of the above site then chances are you are same person I was communicating with.
              Last edited by WendyP; 02-04-09, 13:31. Reason: added a bit more info
              WendyP

Comment

Working...
              X