Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ellen Lovett

Hi,
    I am endeavouring to help an American lady to trace the birth registration of an ancestor Ellen Lovett. Ellen was born in Swansea in 1870 to Irish parents Patrick Lovett and Mary (nee McCarthy). I have traced the family on the 1871 and 1881 censuses but I have been unable to trace anything on Ellen's birth. Strangely I have also been unable to find the births of her siblings who were also born in Swansea or Llanelli.
    I wonder if someone could advise me where I could now search for her birth registration.
    Many thanks
    John King

Just wanted to ask - have you already found Patrick on the 1861 census, with the McCarthy family, or would you like the details of that one?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Possible birth registration for Ellen's brother William:
      Sep 1866 Lovett William Llanelly 11a 627.

I'll see if I can find any of the rest...
      KiteRunner

Comment

Hi Kite Runner,
        Many thanks for you quick response.
        Yes I have traced Patrick in the 1861 census living with his in-laws. For some reason his wife and two young children were living in Llanelli at that time.
        Thanks for William's birth details - on what BMD site did you manage to find that?
        Thanks again
        Kind regards
        John

Comment

Jun 1858 Lovett Thomas Llanelly 11a 579.

Can't see the others.

On the 1871 census, Ellen's birthplace is given as Llanelly Carmarthenshire and then on the 1881 it says Swansea Glamorgan. It is possible that her birth wasn't registered at all, but also it is possible that it was registered but the entry was missed off the GRO indexes. You could contact the register office local to where she was born to ask if they have the registration, and if you tell them she was aged 9 months in April 1871, it should narrow down her date of birth. But the problem here is going to be deciding which is the correct local register office because of the discrepancy in birthplace between the censuses.
          KiteRunner

Comment

I found William's birth registration on FreeBMD but you could also have found it by looking through the indexes on a site such as ancestry, findmypast, Family Relatives, etc.
            KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by 2001woosnam View Post
              Yes I have traced Patrick in the 1861 census living with his in-laws. For some reason his wife and two young children were living in Llanelli at that time.

The 1861 census has Patrick down as "visitor" at the McCarthys' house, so he may only have been staying there for the night.
              KiteRunner

Comment

Many thanks again Kite Runner - I shall try to make enquiries with the two registry offices. You have been most helpful.
                John

Comment

Working...
                X