Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charles Hemmings / Wayman part 2

Hi,

You may remember my brick wall about Charles Hemmings, a bricklayer (ironically) who may have also been Charles Wayman, a bricklayer from Cambridge.

If not here's a reminder...

My great great grandfather was called Charles Hemmings or Emmings. From his marriage certificate [to Alice Galley 1893] he was a Brick Layer born in London. I've found him on the 1901 census and this confirms this (Class: RG13; Piece: 482; Folio: 149; Page: 47.). However, here's the problem.

Very little is known of him before he married my great great grandmother. My great grandfather believed he had been a prize fighter in Cambridge and was the Southern Champion. He may have been married before and it is believed he killed someone and changed his name to evade the law. Years ago my great grandfather tried to research him but failed but for some reason he thought his name may have been Wayman but I dont know why.

His father on the marriage cert is Elijah Emmings and was a Gentleman.

Here's what you guys found out for me.

Marriage of an Elijah Wayman to an Emma Hemmings

Marriages Dec 1856
    Brand Rebecca Cambridge 3b 1167
    Hemmings Emma Cambridge 3b 1167
    Wayman Elijah Cambridge 3b 1167
    Young John Cambridge 3b 1167

1861 Elijah and Emma with a son Charles as toddler
    RG9; Piece: 1027; Folio: 48; Page 7

RG10; Piece: 735; Folio: 49; Page 19
    Now living in Camberwell, Surrey, Elijah is a labourer (bricklayer).
    Charles is an errand boy.

1881 now in Mile End Old Town
    RG11; Piece: 473; Folio: 127; Page 34, Elijah is a park keeper.

Charles has a separate house in Bethnal Green, he is married to Sarah, b. Limehouse, and they have a 3 year old son Charles born in Bethnal Green. Charles is working as a bricklayer and Sarah is a tailoress.
    RG11; Piece: 418; Folio: 93; Page 8

There was speculation that Charles Wayman may have killed first his wife Sarah (d.1892) and changed his name.

Since then I got the Death cert for Sarah and she died of TB (Charles was with her)

I've now also found them in 1891 under the name of Weymouth (Class: RG12; Piece: 310; Folio 11; Page 15; GSU roll: 6095420)

So in summary Charles Wayman/Weymouth bc.1857 Cambridgeshire disappears after wife's death in 1892.

Charles Hemmings bc.1861 London first appears in 1893 marrying my Gx2 grandmother.

Would getting more certificates help? If so which ones? Can anyone find me a way forward?

I'd really like to put this to bed and hopefully claim the Waymans as relatives but I cant think how.
    Hail Spode!

Charles Hemmings bc.1861 London first appears in 1893 marrying my Gx2 grandmother.
    I'm not clear as to whether you have this cert, but if not I would get that one as it's for your direct line and see what he says about his father.

Comment

Merry, Guy says in his post above that he already has that marriage certificate!

His father on the marriage cert is Elijah Emmings and was a Gentleman.

The name Elijah is relatively rare so does make it seem likely, don't you think?
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

There is an Elijah Wayman death Dec 1910 Bethnal Green, age 78; I suppose you could get that certificate and see whether Charles is the informant?
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I have the original marriage cert of my great grandad Henry Hemmings and Helen Oakes and that of Charles Emmings and Alice Galley.

Thanks KiteRunner for the suggestion although I doubt Charles is on it. My great grandad would have been 15 then and he aparently didn't know anything of his father Charles' past apart from this prizefighter business.

Charles Wayman did have some kids but I fear they will just say Charles Wayman as father as he seems to have changed his name after they were born.

Charles Hemmings' death cert might give some clues I suppose but I haven't located it on FreeBMD yet.
          Hail Spode!

Comment

Hi Guy,

All Charles has done is taken his mothers maiden surname as his surname instead of his fathers (Elijahs) . You are assuming that this was for bad reasons, but could it have been that he was not sure that Elijah was in fact his father. I have this in my tree. My g grandfather starts life with his 'fathers' surname, marries with both parents surnames and then a couple of years down the line drops his fathers surname and carries on through life with his mothers surname, down to present day. The only explaination we can think of for this is that he wasnt sure it was his 'real dad'. His birth date and their marriage were very close lol
            I see Charles Wayman was born abt.1857, and there wer two oldr children , the elder b. abt 1852 . yet the marriage for Elijah & Emma was Dec qtr 1856. Is it possible Charles wasnt sure Elijah was his proper dad, so he reverted to his mothers name . Just a thought
            Pam

Comment

Well it's a theory and one I hadn't considered. However, the reason about why he may have changed he name (the murder) came directly from Charles' son - my great grandad who said Charles was a right so and so, so I'm more inclined to go along with that reason for now.

I think in all honestly the reasons are probably lost in time now so I really just want to confirm or disprove whether Charles Wayman is actually Charles Hemmings.
              Hail Spode!

Comment

Working...
              X