Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What a shame he wasn't my direct ancestor!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a shame he wasn't my direct ancestor!

When my daughter and I went to the Probate Office a couple of weeks ago we bought the will of an extended family member because we knew he was wealthy.

Robert Heath married the sister of my great-great-grandmother. His wife was Jane (nee Jeffcoat) and my 2xgt grandmother was Eliza Jeffcoat. The two families were very close and the censuses show nephews and nieces often with their aunts and uncles. Eliza died at Robert Heath's home in 1900.

Robert Heath was a Hatter - his father's premises is still visible at the rear of Marks and Spencer's Pantheon Branch - the lettering is still visible. Robert branched out into the hotel trade too.

In 1903 Robert left £199,511 1s 10d nett.
    He also left property around London:

386 Clapham Road Wandsworth
    24 and 25 St Georges Place Hyde Park Corner (Alexandra Hotel Company)
    Craven House Northumberland Avenue
    Nos 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12 Garrick Street
    40 Pall Mall
    41 Pall Mall
    51 and 53 Victoria Street

All these properties were freehold, and they were left around his family!

My great-grandmother was a beneficiary of a share of the residue of the estate co-equally with other legatees. He shared out his money quite widely. However, I doubt it was a great deal by the time everything else had been paid out - he was very generous to his immediate family.

My daughter has had a day off today and I have been re-reading the will as she went to the Brompton Cemetry where a fair number of this family and other members were buried. She said the graves were beautiful, and how well maintained they are. I'm waiting for her to e-mail me through the photos - apparently the graves are stunning.

I'm glad we bought this will - Robert was not a direct ancestor, but we thought it would make interesting reading. It names so many family members and also identified a few extra husbands and wives and also an illegitimate child. A good £5 worth!
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

I have quite a few wills of people who aren't direct rellies and they always seem to have more info than direct rellies.

Hope the graves give you lots of dates to fill in as well! :D

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post

Robert Heath was a Hatter - his father's premises is still visible at the rear of Marks and Spencer's Pantheon Branch - the lettering is still visible.
      Arrrghh I walk past that nearly every day and have often wondered if there were any family researching the owner and if they realised it was there! :D:D

And now I have my answer.. Doesn't happen often... :o

Comment

I agree, they never seem to be on the direct line!

My richest "relative" was the husband of my 4xg-aunt. He died in 1893 and his estate was valued at £313,775 10s 4d. The will was good though as it detailed 36 of my relatives with their relationships. The only person who didn't seem to get a mention was my 2xg-grandmother who was his niece by marriage :(

My 3xg-grandfather (his bro-in-law) was in business with him, but left the partnership before they made any money!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Peppie View Post
          Arrrghh I walk past that nearly every day and have often wondered if there were any family researching the owner and if they realised it was there! :D:D

And now I have my answer.. Doesn't happen often... :o
          There was a website that had a picture of the lettering, but I can't find it now. The lettering was apparently of architectural importance - his father's name was HENRY HEATH.

Can you imagine what that property portfolio is worth now!

My daughter read me out some of the death dates over the phone when she was there.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Is this it:-

Some Men Are Brothers: London letters 4: Hat factory, Hollen Street

Comment

Well done, Maggie, that's it. I have bookmarked it so I don't lose it again!
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:

Comment

I used to walk past that every day when I worked in Soho!

Its funny isn't it, I remember thinking what a lovely building facade hope they don't knock that down like all the others.

Comment

Maggie, it is the "wrong side" of Dean St so has thankfully missed the cull of buildings that are coming down for the cross rail and Tottenham Court Road station development.

Just looked and it's Grade 2 listed which should give it some protection.

Comment

Photos of Bromoton Cemetery

The three Heath and Dear graves

Four Heath and Dear graves all children of Robert and Jane (nee Jeffcoat) Heath

The unexpected grave

Joseph and Emily (nee Heath) Jeffcoat and three of their daughters

Robert and Emily Heath were brother and sister as was Joseph and Jane Jeffcoat
                    Last edited by PLL; 31-03-09, 22:53.

Comment

My fathers great uncle was rolling in it too. His name was Samuel Bunning and he had a ward in Leicester Hospital named after his wife Sarah. He gave the hospital £3000 in cash in the early 1900s and a friend had her son in that hospital and wondered who Sarah Bunning was.

Comment

PLL is my daughter -

* waves to Pippa *

She sent me these photos through last night - there are 42 in all! I asked her to put a few on here for you.

Brompton Cemetry is apparently very well maintained, and if you phone them they will check whether an ancestor is buried there.
                        Elizabeth
                        Research Interests:

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
                          PLL is my daughter -

* waves to Pippa *

She sent me these photos through last night - there are 42 in all! I asked her to put a few on here for you.

Brompton Cemetry is apparently very well maintained, and if you phone them they will check whether an ancestor is buried there.

They look really good Elizabeth, very clear and it is great when you get one that gives you the date of birth and the date of death as well.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Does anyone else find Robert Walton Heath's stone rather sad? Whoever erected the stone obviously expected more names to be mentioned on it. I wonder if the widow moved away or remarried?
                            Phoenix - with charred feathers
                            Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Phoenix et al - Caroline has asked me to write a magazine article for the May edition on Robert Heath. I will try to expand on the story. I have a nice titbit from his will to share regarding Robert Walton Heath's widow, but I shall save it for later.

I will contact my daughter after she finishes work today and ask for her help (she works at the V&A so nice and close to Brompton Road).
                              Elizabeth
                              Research Interests:

Comment

The May edition well I'm all eyes

I shall be waiting for its publication I want to know what that titbit is.

:p

Comment

they're absolutely beautiful elizabeth! your very lucky to found them.
                                  most of my rich ancestors are buried at st mary's bowden, cheshire.
                                  im not sure if they have headstones, but they were buried there for 200 years.

Comment

Originally posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
                                    The May edition well I'm all eyes

I shall be waiting for its publication I want to know what that titbit is.

:p
                                    It will be out on May 6th - but I get to read it first!! :D
                                    Caroline
                                    Caroline's Family History Pages
                                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
                                    X