Ancestry UK City and County Directories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry UK City and County Directories

These are top of the "what's new" list on ancestry so I guess they have added some more directories, but I'm not sure which ones are new. I don't remember seeing the 1930's London ones before so I'm having a look at them just now, but does anybody know any reliable way of searching them? Or is it best just to pick a directory and browse through it?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

I just put in my gt grandfathers name and came up with 5 different directories.
    If it's to be, it's up to me.
    Searching for:
    English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

Yes, but some of the directories don't seem to come up on a name search even though they are there, for instance the 1934 and 1938 London directories - when I searched for "Brown" in London 1935 +- 5, the only matches that came up were for a Hammersmith directory. Maybe London is listed as Middlesex or something, though.
      Last edited by KiteRunner; 01-04-09, 12:19.
      KiteRunner

Comment

The directories covering the greater London area seem to be patchy to say the least. The search engine is as usual with Ancestry inaccurate and clumsy.If I am trying to search for somene in London why would I want to search through the Nottingham and Wales directories first?

Comment

The 1938 London Post Office Directory seems to be missing the street listings, as far as I could make out from browsing through, which is annoying. But I would think that is how it was supplied to ancestry, maybe?
          KiteRunner

Comment

Hi Kite,
            I have just been searching some directories in Glasgow - some come up with a perfect match and others seem to require a browse and others I just can't get anywhere with.
            It is the same with the General Medical Council register which I have been searching.
            One of my relatives - straight to the correct page etc,
            The other - lots of browsing to find the listing.
            It is great to have these records but very time consuming.
            Good luck
            herky
            Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Working...
            X