Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could someone look up an address for me on the 1911 census

The address is Chapel Street, East Retford

Householders should be Wilson, I think that Elizabeth should be there, as well as Ruth Elizabeth Wilson.

Have just spoken to my Mum and she tells me that a Silas Wilson was killed in WW1, my grandfathers brother.

Even with the address you still have to pay to view the details and you need to know which house number.
    Jayne

My avatar is great great granny Annie Pugh, possibly christened 24 Feb 1858.

Comment

Only two Silas Wilson's are showing.

1. age 65 living in Leeds
      2. age 6 living in Wells Somerset.

Comment

These are the only Wilsons recorded as living in the parish of East Retford (rather than the registration district of East Retford)

Emily 36
        George 54
        James 36
        Julia 50
        Noel 18
        Susan 62

Not necessarily all in the same household.

I couldn't get any results with Church Street (St)

Comment

There is no Ruth Elizabeth Wilson, nor just Ruth Wilson, listed in East Retford. There are a few Elizabeths (oops, in the district!) but don't seem to be at Chapel Street - how old would your Elizabeth be?
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by LorraineJ View Post
            Have just spoken to my Mum and she tells me that a Silas Wilson was killed in WW1, my grandfathers brother.

There are no Silas Wilson entries on the CWGC site, but there are loads of S Wilsons.

Do you know when he was born?

Comment

There doesn't seem to be a Silas Wilson in "Soldiers Died in the Great War", or at least not on ancestry. Could Silas have been a middle name?
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Erm..........didn't we think it was possible Ruth was born after the 1911 census?

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                  Erm..........didn't we think it was possible Ruth was born after the 1911 census?
                  Good point.

Elizabeth is down as a Witness for my grandparents marriage. I have now sent for the certificate for Ruth and Fred's marriage and we will have to see whether Elizabeth is a witness and the name of the father. For some reason, I would not be at all surprised if Albert does not come up as the father.

I haven't got the slightest idea whether Silas was even my great uncles name; I don't understand it, but its almost as if my Mum is muddying the waters to put me off finding out the truth. I don't think its a conscience thing, but she seems to have been fed a load of lies by her late sister. Why do people do it?

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                    There is no Ruth Elizabeth Wilson, nor just Ruth Wilson, listed in East Retford. There are a few Elizabeths (oops, in the district!) but don't seem to be at Chapel Street - how old would your Elizabeth be?
                    Not sure. I think we will have to see what turns up with the Ruth and Fred marriage certificate, ie is she a witness again. The fact that Ruth was called Ruth Elizabeth, makes me think she was her mother.

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                      There doesn't seem to be a Silas Wilson in "Soldiers Died in the Great War", or at least not on ancestry. Could Silas have been a middle name?
                      Could be my Mum has remembered it wrong and is relying on what her older sister told her, which may not necessarily be true.

Comment

I don't think there was a Chapel Street in East Retford, the majority of Retford had streetnames ending in "Gate", there is a Chapelgate and Churchgate within the old part of Retford.

Retford includes Ordsall (west), Thrumpton (south) and Welham (east)

St Saviours was originally a chapel of ease to Clarborough, created as a parish in 1934 and is now classed as East Retford, there is also a St Saviours Close situated close to the main Retford/Clarborough Road at Welham.

I wonder if the address may possibly be Clarborough, modern streetmaps show a Church Lane and also a Chapel Close

It might pay to check the ED descriptions in the 1901 just to check the strret names.
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Really? I know where Church Lane is but Chapel Close is a new one I can't find it on my map either.
                          Edit, oh yes I know where it is now
                          Last edited by Lynn The Forest Fan; 01-04-09, 06:57.
                          Lynn

Comment

Working...
                          X