How would I find out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would I find out

about my aunt, who was born, married and widowed in Ireland, remarried in England, died and is supposed to be buried in Worthing I was told.
    The problem is anyone I ask cannot remember her second
    marriage name the only clue I have is her second husband was the owner of a shoe factory in Northampton but not sure of this info.
    I seem to remember she was also a housekeeper to a doctor at some time, I am not sure if that was after being widowed
    for a second time.
    I would be greatfull for any help, I don't know where to start.
    Margaret.

Margaret,

If you know her first married name you would have to search through the marriage indexes to find any marriages for a lady with that name.

The surname of her husband might ring some bells with some people in your family.

I just hope she had a fairly unusual first married name!

Might she have been mentioned in anyone's will?

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Thanks Tom, I know her first married name, but the second marriage was in England, I will have a look and see.
      the indexes I have for Ireland just show her marriage but not who she married lucky I know who he was.

Thanks Tom, and have a good holiday in 11 days time.
      Margaret.

Comment

Thanks Margaret.

Do you know roughly when she would have married? Is it likely to have been before 1930?

Do you know when she was born (the exact date?) and is she likely to have died after 1984? If so, I would be able to look on ancestry and try and narrow it down to some different surnames.

Can you give us any details about her?

Name, date of birth and then roughly when she would have married husband number 2 in England?

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Hi Tom.
          She was born, Mary Catherine Nugent (aka) Maureen in
          1901 registration quarter Jan-Mar.
          she died in the 60's
          first married name was O'Kelly.
          second marriage very roughly around the 50's

Thanks for any help Tom.
          Margaret.

Comment

Success maybe?

Catherine M O'Kelly married William G Chambers

OND 1949, Nottingham

3c 962

I did start at the wrong side of 1950 though and worked backwards from 1955!

Comment

Tom, many many thanks for that info
              it is so kind of you to help. I am over the moon as she has
              been bothering me for ages.
              Margaret.

Comment

I searched from 1949 - 1955 and couldn't see any others that were likely. Looks as though her first name and second name were switched round though.

You could buy the cert from the GRO and it would say she was a widow and would give you her Father's name therefore telling you her maiden name.

Comment

Thanks so much Tom, you are a great help, I will get the cert,
                  and will they have her death as well or will I search in Worthing, thanks once again for the help. now I feel she is
                  back in the family again.

You've made an old girl very happy :D:D
                  Margaret.

Comment

Her death will be on there if she died in England, but it is a case of searching each quarter of each year, and with a surname like Chambers it won't be as easy as finding that marriage!

Comment

Hi Tom,
                      I have been told by a cousin she died and is buried in Worthing, my cousin was a teenager at the time and not taking any notice so I will have a look there first.
                      Tom I am very greatfull for your help.
                      I cannot wait to send for the cert now.
                      Margaret.

Comment

Mary (Maureen) Catherine Simmons - deceased

Hi Margaret,
                        Yes, we are correctly linked. I have built up an eight generation Simmons family tree steming from Rhoda Simmons (1815-1906) from Higham Ferrers, Northamptonshire. The only facts missing is the date and place of death for Mary (aka Maureen). I am in contact with many of her step-grand children. Sadly, none of her step-children are still alive. Mary sold her late husband William's slipper factory at Crow Hill, Irthingborough some time after his death in 1952. A step-grand daughter stayed with her in her house on the Finedon Road in the mid-fifties. She told me that she liked to me called Maureen and was a devote catholic who was born in County Down, Ireland. She told me that Mary had a brother who was an Irish Finance Minister. (My research shows he was a Northern Ireland politician Sir Roland Thomas Nugent (1886-1962). This step-grand daughter told me Mary moved to London and was admitted to a convent on failing health and died. Whereas, another step-grand daughter told me that Mary lived and died in Christchurch, Hampshire. Never-the-less, there are no registered entries of re-marriage or death in England and Wales of a Mary Catherine Simmons (including various combinations of name) between 1952 and 2005.
                        I would be grateful if you had any success yourself.
                        I look forward to hearing from you.

Comment

Stuart, I will PM you.

Margaret
                          Margaret.

Comment

Working...
                          X