lost great uncle Garth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lost great uncle Garth

I've been trying to find my grandmother's brother Edward Garth born 2/1/1887 at Bolton le sands.He's on the 1901 census and is a fisherman but I can find no marriage or death for him and he isn't on the 1911 census.I have a postcard dated 1907 from his mother and his address is Queen st Liverpool which makes me wonder if he was intending to emigrate.Has anyone spotted him on passenger lists??I've been able to trace all my grandmother's siblings apart from him and yet I have a photo of him as a boy and my mum's written "uncle Ted" on the back which might suggest she knew him?

Liz
    my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

There is an Edward M Guirk born 1887 living in Queen Street Liverpool in the 1911 census. I think it's possible, A might look like a UI then TH might look like a K.

I'd wait for other suggestions before forking out any money on the 1911 though.
    Hail Spode!

Comment

It looks as though his WW1 Army Service Records and medal card are on Ancestry. He was a driver in the Royal Army Service Corps and his regimental number was 223384. At first I discounted it because his address is given as Pontypridd but later on in the records it says he was born in Bolton le Sands.
      Jackie

Comment

Don't forget the 1911 census isn't complete yet.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

lost great uncle

Thanks for your suggestions.I can't decide if that Edward in the service records is the right one as in May 1916 at attestation my Edward would have been about a year younger as he was born at the beginning of Jan 1887.I found his wife Amy Blanch Harries in the 1881 census of Wales aged 6 so she was a good bit older than Edward.On the other hand I didn't find another Edward born a year earlier at Bolton le sands on "Lancashire online parish clerk" !!As Kite says I might have to hang on and wait for the 1911 Wales census to come online in case Edward was already there.Did you notice in the service record that Amy writes a letter enquiring about widow's pension and her address then is Owl cottage,Holm and Lancashire I assume??

Liz
          my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

Comment

Working...
          X