would you agree?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• would you agree?

im about to get the marriage of my 2nd great grandparents simon coates 1860-1941, and jane ann gill 1861-1948, in auckland 1880.

but i can't pin down his birth reg, as there are 4 for the 2 years around his birth year. i think he is the son of john coates 1829-1899, and mary harker/pratt 1832-1900.

here are the refs for simon once he left home:
    1881- rg11, piece 4918, folio 115, page 26
    simon coates- age 21, mar. b.reeth, yorkshire. coal miner
    jane ann - age 20, b. 1861, towlaw, durham.

1891-rg12, piece, 4069, folio 92, page 57
    simon's birth place should be grinton, not erinton. age 31.

1901- rg 13, piece 4646, folio 103, page 13.
    simon is age 41, b.grinton.

and these are the refs i think simon fits for 61 and 71

1861-rg 9, piece 3672, folio 70, page 25
    and 1871- rg 10, piece 4872, folio 59, page 14

does anyone else think he fits?
    Last edited by kylejustin; 15-09-09, 05:28.

I would wait till you have the marriage cert if I were you as that will tell you who his father was.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

ive tracked the family line in pencil, and simon isnt a common name, but the name is coates, very common, and i want to get the right family. the reason i think its the right family, is the whole family moved to durham, and they dont have a simon when mine's married.

also, this john was the son of a simon.

Comment

1871 also shows a Simon coates born Grinton 1862, son of Edmund and Jane. Living in Richmond, Yorks.

RG10/4874 page 5
        Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

thanx jules, ill check it out.

edit- the name edmund is an old coates one, runs in the family, but not in the children of simon and jane ann.

the eldest child was mary jane, named after both grandmothers, paternal, then maternal. next child was john francis, named once again after grandparents, paternal grandfather then maternal.
          Last edited by kylejustin; 31-03-09, 14:15.

Comment

You could be right about the 1861 and 1971, Melbecks and Grinton aren't that far apart
            Last edited by JulesSmith; 31-03-09, 14:32.
            Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

update- marriage received

ok, marriage cert arrived today. ordered bout two weeks ago. father's name john coates, a coal miner. so does anyone think i have the right family?

Comment

i think the family is good, as in yorkshire john was a lead miner, and when he moved to durham, he became a coal miner. the family in durham is the same as the one in yorkshire, and they seem to be the only family with father john and son simon in durham. but is anyone seeing a loophole in my theory here? i just dont want to overlook anything before i order the birth for this simon.

Comment

Working...
                X