freebmd category markings info please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• freebmd category markings info please

Hi...I am looking for the birth of Charles Kay b 1844 in Penistone,Yorkshire as I was told he was born in the workhouse ( and so was his mother and grandmother supposedly)...so I have this info from Freebmd

KAY CHARLES DEC QTR 1844 REF No 19 4 [79] 4 HAYFIELD ...(penistone reg area).. I have never seen the brackets [ ] around a ref No before...is this a possible feature for workhouse births ??...does anybody happen to know ?...cheers....allan
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

No, it means the transcriber couldn't accurately read the page number :D

Comment

Penistone is in Yorks and Hayfield covers parts of Derbyshire and Cheshire.

For Penistone you would need Wortley District.

Comment

if you order the cert it would say.
        has anyone heard of people on the census saying they were born in the workhouse?

Comment

Do you know his parents names?

I thought I'd found him transcribed as Hey on the 1851 census, but am not sure. Says b Silkstone which is 2 miles away from Penistone.

Comment

thanks very much Merry....well you learn something new every day....allan;)
            Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
              if you order the cert it would say.
              has anyone heard of people on the census saying they were born in the workhouse?
              Yes, occasionally. Usually expressed as "Placename Union"

Comment

It means that the page number could be 474 or 494. Have you looked at the original image?
                Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

His mum was Margery Kay b 1826 Penistone..don`t know the fathers name....cheers...allan

Comment

thanks Wendy...no...I`m stupid with things like that...I can never get any images up when I click on the glasses...lol...allan:o
                    MERRY..his mum Margery Kay married James Williamson in 1851...on all the census he is Charles Williamson...thanks for looking anyway...should have said shouldn`t I ,,silly boy ...allan
                    Last edited by garstonite; 31-03-09, 12:29.

Comment

Allan, I've just looked at your other thread and don't know where to post now!

Marg(j)ery was b Penistone but her son (according to the 1851 census) was b in Glossop in Derbyshire, so the Hayfield reg is probably the right one

Comment

Originally posted by garstonite View Post
                        thanks Wendy...no...I`m stupid with things like that...I can never get any images up when I click on the glasses...lol...allan:o
                        MERRY..his mum Margery Kay married James Williamson in 1851...on all the census he is Charles Williamson...thanks for looking anyway...should have said shouldn`t I ,,silly boy ...allan
                        He is Charles Kay in 1851.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                          Yes, I have at least one like that.

Comment

how very interesting!!

Comment

thank you all...Merry....he was known as Charles Kay Williamson....so would the Hayfield freebmd birth cert have his fathers name on ?....more than likely no name for father....allan ;)

Comment

I think the page number for that Hayfield birth is 494, and there is a Charles Newton birth also listed with the same reference numbers, so it is possible that they are both for the same child and his father was a Mr Newton, or it is possible they are two different children and your Charles has no father's name on his birth cert.
                                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                                  I think the page number for that Hayfield birth is 494, and there is a Charles Newton birth also listed with the same reference numbers, so it is possible that they are both for the same child and his father was a Mr Newton, or it is possible they are two different children and your Charles has no father's name on his birth cert.
                                  There is a separate Charles newton on the 1851 b 1845 Glossop, but he has a middle name, so can't be sure he matches that other registration.....

Comment

Working...
                                  X