workhouse births pre 1837 query please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• workhouse births pre 1837 query please

good morning all....just a query for more knowledgable members please...
    I have 2 direct ancestors Margery Kay b 1827 and her mother Harriet Kay b 1805 BOTH born in Penistone Workhouse,Yorkshire....Harriets mother was Ann Kay b 1780 (don`t know where born,but I have presumably b Penistone)...so obviously Ann went into the workhouse then Harriet AND Margery were born there....
    Is there any possible record of this pre 1837 that can be viewed eg from workhouse records...if so where would I find them.....I have been given this info from another FTF member who has the same Ancestors ...she obtained it from IGI.....any help appreciated....cheers...allan
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

i guess you could check the workhouse minutes for something like that. and looking for the workhouse records may help?

Comment

If the workhouse records still exist then they should be held at the local record office for that area, Allan (I'm afraid I'm not too good on Yorkshire geography so I'm not sure which one it would be)
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by garstonite View Post
        I have been given this info from another FTF member who has the same Ancestors ...she obtained it from IGI.....

Looking at the IGI, it has Harriott Kay born 17 Apr 1810, christened 5 Aug 1810 Penistone, Yorkshire, mother Ann Kay, but it doesn't mention anything about the workhouse on that one. I can't see a Harriet 1805 at Penistone on there. Then it also has Margy Kay christened 1 Oct 1826 Penistone, Yorkshire, mother Hariet Kay, but again it doesn't say workhouse. Unless that batch, C042481, is a workhouse batch?

Does 1810 match Harriet's age on the censuses better than 1805?
        KiteRunner

Comment

Further to my last post, Hugh Wallis's site lists batch C042481 for Penistone with dates 1643-1844, so it seems most unlikely it is taken from workhouse records. Maybe your contact has some more information about these people?
          KiteRunner

Comment

Were workhouses used as infirmaries at that early date?

Comment

Hi Allan
              My gg grandfather was put in a London workhouse c.1805 when he was orphaned. l am hoping the records are coming onto Ancestry soon.. Your ones should be at the nearest record office to the workhouse, if they have survived
              Pam

Comment

sincere apologies for my delay in replying,but whilst I took my grandson to school MY WIFE COMANDEERD THE PC...she`s a bully...lol
                right,so there`s a little difference on details here...I have Margery 1827 (taken from census records and I have Harriet b abt 1805....so if Kiterunner has her b 1810 on IGI then thast`s to be changed on my tree....I only had Margery on my tree until recently when I was given the info on Harriet and Ann.....this is exactly why I posted...I want to get the EXACT details....
                so looking at Harriet b 17 april 1810 and she gave birth to Margery when she was 16...she was obviously pregnant at 15....I`ll have to go back on my search and check where the "workhouse births came from"...thanks....allan
                Last edited by garstonite; 31-03-09, 10:50.
                Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

OK so I have just checked all my records and on Margery Kays marriage to James Williamson....margerys father is given as Samuel Hadfield....if I try to google Samuel Hadfield I get a massive tree ...I could do with a few pointers on this...firstly...if I purchase Margery`s Marriage cert ,will it give Samuels POB and his DOB ??....allan;)

Comment

No, marriage certs only give the father's name and occupation.

Comment

Info about Penistone workhouse here:

Penistone Workhouse and Poor Law Union

but it doesn't look very promising:

Records
                      Sheffield Archives, 52 Shoreham Street, Sheffield S1 4SP. Virtually no local records survive.

Comment

thanks Mary....appreciate it...I`ll have a look now...how`s the weather there ?....allan;)

like you say Mary...NO INFORMATION before 1834....don`t quite understand ...if it became a union workhouse in 1849...what was it called prior to that ??..just a workhouse ?.allan
                        Last edited by garstonite; 31-03-09, 11:55.

Comment

so Margery Kay had Charles Kay b 1844 in Penistone workhouse....as far as I can find out Margery/Harriet and Ann were Not born in the workhouse.....so I am now going to look for the birth of Charles Kay 1844 for the OFFICIAL POB (I hope ..lol..)...thanks to all for your help....allan
                          Last edited by garstonite; 31-03-09, 12:06.

Comment

Working...
                          X