Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Army births in Gibraltar - where to look?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army births in Gibraltar - where to look?

Hi.

I am trying to find a birth in Gibraltar in the time period of 1806-1809. The father was in the 6th Foot and I have record of one son born in Canada in 1805 and another in Ireland in 1810 - just trying to find the son born in Gibraltar in between the 2 others.

I have already been in touch with the Civil Status and Registration Office in Gibraltar and I am sure at some point I checked the overseas Army births on findmypast and didn't find him.

Any suggestions on where else I could look?

His name is William Darlison - his parents names are John and Ann.

Thanks.

Anybody?

Comment

All I can think of is the overseas indexes, specifically the regimental ones, but if you've already tried those then maybe you can order this microfilm to your nearest LDS centre:

Title Bishop's transcripts for Gibralter Anglican Chaplaincy, 1807-1812
      Authors Church of England in Gibralter. Anglican Chaplaincy (Main Author)

Notes Microfilm of manuscripts at the Guildhall Library, London.
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Rites performed by Anglican clergy for British military stationed on Gibralter.
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Guildhall Library no.: Ms. 10,446D

Subjects Gibraltar - Church records
      Great Britain - Church records
      British - Gibraltar
      Church of England - Gibralter

Format Manuscript (On Film)
      Language English
      Publication Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1968
      Physical on 1 microfilm reel ; 35 mm.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Oh, or maybe you can get someone to look it up at the Guildhall Library? Or is that closed at the moment?
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

i think it's closed due to ancestry scanning the documents.
          and if it isn't, good luck finding anything!!

i'd go with what kite said. try the overseas indexes and the lds.

Comment

That's great Kite - I was just at a loss as to where to look next. I will try ordering the films from LDS and hopefully they will contain what I need.

Comment

Margaret

When I was at the LDS Hyde Park last October, I looked at the Gibraltar BMD Index 1848-1990 film they had (surname R). It only listed civilian registrations; there were no military births on it.

I was looking for birth to someone in the 87th Foot during 1860s, so it may have altered later.

I couldn't find the birth in the Overseas indexes at TNA, either. I did eventually find birth of a brother in Bermuda, but on the Chaplain's returns fiche and then, when I sent for the birth cert, it didn't give the mother's maiden name, which is what I wanted, only Mrs R... :(

Hope you have better success.

Carol

Comment

Thanks Carol. I think I will try my luck with the sites mentioned above and see where it gets me.

Comment

My gg grandfather was a soldier's son baptised in 1841 in the Catholic church St Mary the Crowned, Main Street, Gibraltar. We went there and saw the book with the baptism written in Spanish & we were given a certificate. Perhaps you could write to them Their email address is cathedral@gibtelecom.net

Comment

Working...
                  X