Jersey birth records 1870s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jersey birth records 1870s

I was searching for a birth in Sunderland for which I "know" the date from the IGI. The very helpful registrar has told me the birth was actually registered in Jersey and that they found in in findmypast. I haven't the foggiest idea what the mother was doing in Jersey, so I wonder if anyone can confirm the details for me:

Alfred Joseph Mitchell born 26 April 1874, mmn Brown. He was baptised in Sunderland (extracted IGI record) and died there aged 6, registered with GRO.

And if anyone can explain how to contact Jersey for more info., that would be a big help too. I did look in the WIKI but couldn't find anything relevant.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

As far as I know the only births on FMP, apart from the England and Wales ones, are the entries recorded in the Overseas index.
    The only entry I can see for an Alfred Joseph Mitchell is in the GRO Consular births 1849-1965 and the place name for the registration is Kanagawa, which I believe is in Japan!
    Elaine

Comment

I can't see the birth on Free BMD and I can't see it on the Christening records either.

Death ref 10a 364 1880 Q2
      Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

I got the details originally from IGI Batch C012344, which came from the (Latinised) RC church baptism register. I also looked on familyrelatives to see if they have anything on Jersey, but like Elaine I drew a blank.

I found the death some time ago, and the only "matching" birth I could find at the time was in London (St Saviour Southwark q2 1874) but I didn't note the reference because it was so unlikely.

OH's grandfather is a younger child with the same name born q1 1881, for which I have the certificate.
        Last edited by Uncle John; 30-03-09, 15:04.

Comment

Why would a watchmaker from Co Durham rush off to Jersey and back?

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
            And if anyone can explain how to contact Jersey for more info., that would be a big help too. I did look in the WIKI but couldn't find anything relevant.
            Research in the Channel Islands FAQs

(got to this via a link from the Wiki!)

Scroll down to part 4
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

The very helpful registrar has told me the birth was actually registered in Jersey and that they found in in findmypast.
              Presumably the registrar wouldn't know this was the right registration - just that there was one for the right name in Jersey in 1874?

*wonders how she found that from Findmypast?*

Comment

The very helpful registrar has told me the birth was actually registered in Jersey and that they found it in findmypast.
                This is the bit I find odd - I cannot think where on FMP -unless it was in the overseas index - but I couldn´t see anything there.
                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                  Why would a watchmaker from Co Durham rush off to Jersey and back?
                  Just had a thought. This more or less coincides with the time his business was going down the pan and he was being made bankrupt. They did have another child a year later in Sunderland.
                  Last edited by Uncle John; 30-03-09, 18:21.

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                    Research in the Channel Islands FAQs

(got to this via a link from the Wiki!)

Scroll down to part 4
                    I had a look at this earlier today. I'm not really minded to punt nearly £20 on a wild guess, and I can't think that a phone call to the Registrar would produce anything for free.

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                      Presumably the registrar wouldn't know this was the right registration - just that there was one for the right name in Jersey in 1874?

*wonders how she found that from Findmypast?*
                      Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                      This is the bit I find odd - I cannot think where on FMP -unless it was in the overseas index - but I couldn´t see anything there.
                      I can't work it out either. I think I'll email them again.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                        As far as I know the only births on FMP, apart from the England and Wales ones, are the entries recorded in the Overseas index.
                        The only entry I can see for an Alfred Joseph Mitchell is in the GRO Consular births 1849-1965 and the place name for the registration is Kanagawa, which I believe is in Japan!
                        I found that one in familyrelatives too.

Comment

My OH has Channel Island ancestors mainly Jersey and he wrote directly to Jersey for help. They were very good and did several searches for him as he did not know when they were born. It would have cost him but I do not know how much so maybe you cold contact them to find out.

The BMD records for the Channel Islands is different for each of the Islands.

Jersey's records (1842) are with the The Superintendent Registrar, 10 Royal Square, St. Helier, Jersey JE2 4WA.

For Gernsey (1842), H.M. Greffier, The Royal Court House, St Peter Port, Guernsey GY1 2PB.

For Sark (1925), The Greffe, La Chasse Marette, Sark GY9 0S.

For Alderney (1850 Births & Deaths, Marriages 1886), The Greffier, Registry for Births, Deaths, Companies, Land and Marriages, St Anne, Alderney GY9 3AA. Glossary Entry on BMD.

Janet

Comment

Working...
                          X