Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's happened to Mary Ann and her daughters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's happened to Mary Ann and her daughters?

This is what I have;

born 1813 Mary Ann Benson at Leamington Hastings, Warks (dau of Thomas and Hannah)

1835 dau Maria born Stoke, Warks

1838 marries Thomas Hawthorn(e) Coventry, Warks
    1841 living with Thomas (20 / occ: weaver), Maria (mistranscr Mercia) and Hannah (1) Stoke, Warks

1851 No sign of Mary Ann or her daughters but Thomas (listed as unmarried) is living with his mother and brother at Coventry

1861+1871 Thomas listed as widower living Coventry
    1880 Thos died

I'd really appreciate any help finding what happened to Mary Ann and her daughters after 1841
    Thanks
    Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Are you sure this is the correct family in 1841? It states that Mary was born in Warwickshire **EDIT** Ignore that, I just realised Hastings is Warwickshire, I was thinking of Sussex. Will keep looking, but nothing so far.
    Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Just checking that you've noticed that her mum and dad and siblings are on the previous page on the 1841 census. Haven't found anything other than that though :(

Comment

Originally posted by zoejg View Post
        Just checking that you've noticed that her mum and dad and siblings are on the previous page on the 1841 census. Haven't found anything other than that though :(
        Yeah I checked that too (for 1851), incase she had gone back home. can't find any record of them at all, not even on the death index, although there are quite a lot of Mary hawthorns in Warwickshire 1846 +/- 5 years
        Last edited by JulesSmith; 30-03-09, 12:02.
        Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

I'm looking on the 1851 census

Is it possible that Mary Ann remarried ?
          There's a Mary Ann Lee born abt 1817 with husband Richard Lee
          and daughters Maria (14) and Hannah (11)
          sons George and Thomas

here's the ref

HO 107 piece 2068 / folio 452 / page 5
          ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by zoejg View Post

Hi - thanks for looking

yes, I saw that too ... + have found death regn for Mary Hawthorne Q3 1847 Coventry (there's one Q2 1856 too) ...

if this is Mary Ann - where are Maria and Hannah?

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel Scand View Post
              I'm looking on the 1851 census

Is it possible that Mary Ann remarried ?
              There's a Mary Ann Lee born abt 1817 with husband Richard Lee
              and daughters Maria (14) and Hannah (11)
              sons George and Thomas

here's the ref

HO 107 piece 2068 / folio 452 / page 5
              Thanks Rachel - I'll take a look at that

Comment

I can't see a marriage for Mary Ann Hawthorn and Richard Lee so far...
                Jules

Comment

Originally posted by JulesSmith View Post
                  I can't see a marriage for Mary Ann Hawthorn and Richard Lee so far...
                  Hi Jules - nor can I or Mary Ann Benson + Richard Lee

Comment

Me neither
                    Have been looking on Freebmd using first names only, her first name, Benson and Hawthorn/e and every combination .... no luck
                    ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Where is this woman!! She seems to have vanished with her girls...
                      Jules

Comment

The family on the 1851 census fits fairly nicely so maybe that's her and they didn't marry

Oh and they've called the youngest child Thomas in honour of her first spouse !
                        Last edited by Rachel Scand; 30-03-09, 20:54. Reason: lost a 'd'

Comment

I was thinking the same thing about them not marrying. Might be worth seeing how they fair in the later census'. They might turn up at a family home (ever the optimist lol)
                          The only thing that didnt quite match were the places of birth.
                          Jules

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel Scand View Post
                            The family on the 1851 census fits fairly nicely so maybe that's her and they didn't marry

Oh and they've calle the youngest child Thomas in honour of her first spouse !
                            I can see where you're coming from Rachel .............

soooooooooo ... where are the girls in 1861?

Comment

I can't find the Lee family in 1861.. you are really making us for for this one huh LOL
                              Jules

Comment

There's a death of a Mary Ann Lee
                                Dec Q 1858 Coventry

The girls would probably have married by 1861

Comment

Originally posted by JulesSmith View Post
                                  I can't find the Lee family in 1861.. you are really making us for for this one huh LOL
                                  ... I bet you're feeling how I am feeling about them ... lol

I've found 2 possible marriages;

xxxxHannah Hawthorne m Q1 1859 at West Brom (Geo Durdin or Wm Young)xxxx see Jules message
                                  Maria Benson m Q1 1861 (John Johnson or James Taylor)

me thinks grasping at whatever I can find now .....................
                                  Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 30-03-09, 13:58.

Comment

which ties in nicely with Thomas hawthorn saying he is a widow in the 1861 census!
                                    Jules

Comment

Got it on 1861 census: Coventry

Mary Lees
                                      Hannah Hawthorn
                                      George and Thomas Hawthorn

RG9/2208 page 8
                                      Jules

Comment

marriage of a Maria Benson ~~ March Q1861

sorry lost plot ! ignore this

Comment

Working...
                                        X