I just called Ancestry RE LMA Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just called Ancestry RE LMA Records

I spoke to a very nice lady as I wanted to find out why I could access the LMA records all day last Thursday and then on Friday the access was taken from me. Because the answer to my email I sent regarding this did not make any sense at all. The lady did say she did not know why that happend and then went on to explain about the new rates. I told her that I had the only uk package there was when I renewed which was the delux membership so that must be the equilavent to the Premium and so that should allow me and all UK members who have this package to see all the new records added and then charge uK members the additional rate when our premiums came up for renewnal. As it was not our fault that Ancestry decided to change their price structure; She saw my point of view but said there was no supervisors on untill 3'oclock so she could not really give me an answer.
    After a long conversation with her (but trying to keep this short) two important points I mentioned to her was that if they were not more considerate to the UK members about this they would lose a lot of custom as I did know a lot of uk members who were not happy about this situation and I also asked what about loyalty I've been a member for 5 years now. Well she let me renew early (my membership comes up for renewnal in June) so she refunded me a portion of my delux membership £10.61 and gave me a 20% discount off the new premium membership. So I only paid £85.92 instead of £107.40.
    It was agreed that she would pass my comments on to her bosses and ask why access was given and then taken away. I added that she should be prepared for a lot of calls from UK members and it would be a good idea if all the call staff had the answers available.
    GWEN

*sets alarm clock for 3.01pm*

which number did you ring?

I sent them an email too, but I haven't had a reply yet. Fingers crossed they sort this out, though it strikes me the person who agreed access last Thursday has been overruled :(

Comment

I felt that same as you Merry that the person who agreed access last week had been overuled and that is why I renewed my membership. I did not want to give into them as I felt very strongly about this but did not want to cut my nose off as I cannot do without ancestry. My membership price last year for delux was only £60.91 so I thought it was not a bad offer I received especially as new records have been added.
      I did say what if I renew and Ancestry decide to restructure again because they add more new records and I cannot view them I do not want this to happen again. The reply I received was they do not change their premiums very often. I told her I would be on the phone again and would not be so understanding the 2nd time!!!!
      GWEN

Comment

sorry the number I called was 0800 404 9723
        GWEN

Comment

Thanks Gwen. It's all very irritating, isn't it? :(

Comment

Below is the message I sent to Ancestry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
            I have The Annual UK Heritage package purchased 23 January 2009. I would like to search the new LMA records but am concerned at the cost. Would I get a refund? Or is the cost of my payment subtracted from the UK Heritage plus charge. Or do I really have to pay AUD 215.40 for these records?
            Look forward to hearing from you,

This is their reply
            We appreciate your message.

We apologize for this inconvenience.

When you upgrade, you will be paid the full amount and may be eligible for a refund on your current membership.

For more details, please contact our customer support line toll free number at 1-800-251-838.

If there is anything else with which we might assist you, please let us know.

Does this make sense to you 'you will be paid the full amount'? I have the Oz membership and really do not want to start ringing Australia from here.
            Any thoughts?

Comment

Hi, I have been unable to get into Ancestry at all since my computer crashed last week, it took me three days to retrieve my computer, in the mean time I bought a laptop and a wireless router (which took some installing!) now i have everything back EXCEPT Ancestry. I can't access it from the main computer OR the laptop. I have been tearing my hair out trying to contact them as all contact points seem to be ON THE WEBSITE ! and if you can't get in......! So, thanks Gwen, I will be calling that number now to try and find out what is happening.
              ps: I am also very annoyed that I can no longer access all sorts of records I used to have access to, I too had the only type of account available at the time I joined.
              Alison

Comment

What happens when you try to access Ancestry? Are you sure you're entering your user name and password correctly and you have cookies enabled?

Welcome to FTF, by the way

Comment

Hi, I don't even get as far as a log-in, IE won't display the website and keeps giving me different reasons, each of which when I check my settings, I don't agree with !! it is very frustrating, but I have been reading another thread where someone else said they have had the same problem and their e-mail is up the shoot too, well, so is mine so I may wait up and see if this is indeed a server problem, not mine.
                  Alison

Comment

Alison, I asked you on another thread but don't think you have answered - have you tried using Firefox instead of Internet Explorer to see if ancestry works on there?
                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi there, sorry I'm just running through various threads now, I'm new to this but I'm getting there (I think!) No, I have never used Firefox, as long as IE worked I was quite happy with it. I have also learned from (bitter) experience, that the less I muck about with the computer the better it seems to work. Would it work to just download firefox, try it, then remove it again ? I may not do anything immediately as I'm off on holiday this week and when i get back I need to sort out my AVG so I'm loathe to mess about with settings until I have done that.
                      Alison

Comment

Alison, you can download Firefox and as long as you don't tick a box to say to use it as your default browser, you can quite safely keep it on your computer as well as IE and choose which to use at any particular time, or indeed run them both at once!
                        KiteRunner

Comment

Oh right, does it take up much memory, I may try that then. At least then I would know.
                          Thanks
                          Alison

Comment

Oh dear, Firefox does exactly the same as IE, searches for ages then disconnects.
                            So, if it is not their problem I will have to do an in depth sorting out of my settings
                            Oh Joy !!! I think I will go on holiday first,
                            Bye for now.
                            Alison

Comment

I've just had an email reply from Ancestry. They say that if I wish to see the LMA records I have to upgrade.

This is not a reply to the question I asked though

Comment

Can someone tell me what they understand from my message Thread 6 on this board, please. It makes no sense to me?

Comment

No, I didn't understand that either!

OH has just been looking at their Frequently Asked Questions and it specifically says if you renewed before August 2008 you will NOT get access to the new records, but if you wish, you can retain the old package until your renewal date.

So, it would seem they made a mistake last week.

Comment

Originally posted by fortuna View Post
                                    Can someone tell me what they understand from my message Thread 6 on this board, please. It makes no sense to me?

I'm sure they have made a mistake typing it - I think you should contact them again and ask them to explain what it means.
                                    KiteRunner

Comment

This is really underhand :( :(

I'm working soon, so have been thinking whether to renewal later this month anyway. But if I'll get a big discount off an upgrade if I complain, it may be worth my while

Comment

Ihave just replied to Ancestry asking 'How much will it cost to upgrade and please will they answer my question'. Thread 5,

Comment

Working...
                                        X