Help please - getting my tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please - getting my tree

from GR - despite reading up on Gedcom and other Family Tree (inc. here) sites, I just cannot get my head round what to do :(

I really don't want to leave it on GR for much longer in view of the uncertainty of the future of the Site.

Could someone, in words of 2 syllables, please tell me what to do
    Thanks
    Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Go to GR
    Scroll right down to the bottom of the page and you will see a black bar which runs across the screen
    Tell a friend / Contact us / etc

Click on Import/Export Gedcom
    On the next page click on Export Gedcom
    The Gedcom file should then be sent to you by email.

When it arrives, click on the gedcom attachment and save it to your computer.

Now you need a program in which you can open it - do you have a family history program on your computer?
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks for your quick reply Elaine

No I haven't got a program yet..... just keep looking at peoples remarks/opinions on here to try to assess which would be best/easist etc.

But at least I can get it off GR. Thank you
      Dorothy G

Comment

Have you got your tree backed up on to your own Family Tree Programme on your computer? If you have, then close the one you have on GR. If you have not backed up with your own programme then do so urgently.

Elaine got in before me with better advice!

Janet
        Last edited by KiteRunner; 30-03-09, 09:53. Reason: inappropriate comment

Comment

The four most popular programs are probably Family Tree Maker, Family Historian, Legacy and PAF (Personal Ancestral File).

Legacy and PAF can be freely downloaded from the internet - and the links can be found in the wiki.
          Personal Ancestral File
          Legacy

There are also some useful hints and tips in the wiki, including instructions on how to open a gedcom using these programs.

If you need any more help then just ask.
          Elaine

Comment

Thank you once again Elaine. Thanks also janet for replying

Ok, I'll do all that tomorrow and find a suitable program.
            Dorothy G

Comment

Right - I've done as you said Elaine, and GR have sent me an attachment with my Gedcom, which I saved in My Documents - but now by clicking on it, I'm told that I haven't an associated file to open it...... help? now what do I do please? :(
              Dorothy G

Comment

Dorothy

You need a genealogy program on your computer. You open the gedcom in that by importing it.

Comment

Have you tried tribal pages, its great for showing your tree and the basic service is free.
                  If it's to be, it's up to me.
                  Searching for:
                  English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

Trying to encourage Dorothy to keep the master file of her tree on her own PC rather than an external site! :D
                    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                      Trying to encourage Dorothy to keep the master file of her tree on her own PC rather than an external site! :D
                      Margaret, Jeanie, Elaine - so which/what do I do?
                      Dorothy G

Comment

Dorothy,

I think the idea now is to get one of these family tree programmes on to your computer and then you can upload the gedcom into it. So you can download a free one or purchase one. I am sure Elaine will come back to you with further help. I have an old Family Tree Programme so I will not offer mine.

Janet

Comment

You need to install a programme on your pc to open the file and view it as a tree or to edit the contents (add or remove names for example).

By keeping your tree on an FT programme you can then update all your online trees with the same information from the one source.
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                          My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                          My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Dorothy

After downloading your tree onto your own PC you will still have your tree on GR, if your intention was to remove all traces of your tree from GR then I would suggest that you make a new tree on your PC with 1 box labled test and upload that to GR to over write your existing one. If you intend to keep your tree on GR then ignore what I've just said

L

Comment

Originally posted by It_Is_I_Leclerc View Post
                              Dorothy

After downloading your tree onto your own PC you will still have your tree on GR, if your intention was to remove all traces of your tree from GR then I would suggest that you make a new tree on your PC with 1 box labled test and upload that to GR to over write your existing one. If you intend to keep your tree on GR then ignore what I've just said

L
                              Thanks, but I'm not too concerned with that aspect at present - my main concern is/was to get a Gedcom, so if anything untoward should happen on there, I'm safe/covered.
                              Dorothy G

Comment

Your tree is safe now Dorothy - you have a copy on your PC but you canĀ“t do anything with it until you get a program.

Do you want to try one of the freebies such as Legacy or PAF? At least that would give you an opportunity to see what they are like and to check that your gedcom opens OK.

Why not try Legacy. Click on the link I have given to you in post no.5 and it will take you to the Legacy page in the wiki.
                                Click on the first link under the If you want to download Legacy heading, and this will take you to the Legacy website where you can download the program.
                                When you have done that you will see further down the wiki page a link which will give you instructions on opening your gedcom file. Give it a go and if you get stuck come back and someone will help.
                                Elaine

Comment

Thanks again Elaine - I'll certainly give that a try a bit later on.

Thanks for your help, very grateful to at least have my Tree in my own hands.
                                  Dorothy G

Comment

Thanks everyone, I have just got my tree off GR too, i already had PAF on my computer but hadn't yet done anything with it, I can report it is perfectly easy to use and opened my Gedcom with no trouble.
                                    Alison
                                    Alison

Comment

Working...
                                    X