Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will this confuse future researchers in my family?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this confuse future researchers in my family?

Sitting here trying to find a baptism in the Durham Bishop's Transcripts and I wondered if any future descendants of mine will want to search for my children's baptism and what a lot of searching they will have if they don't have the information handed down to them.

Daughter 1 was born in Blackpool, Lancashire but Christened in County Durham.

Daughter 2 will be easy, born and Christened in Ivybridge, Devon.

Daughter 3 born in Aldershot, Hampshire but Christened in Arborfield, Berkshire in the Army Chapel on camp.

Son born in Worcester, Worcestershire but Christened in Heaton Newcastle Upon Tyne in a Methodist Church.

Have any of you tried to confuse your descendants too :D
    Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

My great grandfather had 10 children all born in Ireland, Portsea, Yorkshire, Lincoln, Surrey, Kent and Middlesex and some of those were christened in different places to where they were born! That had me foxed enough but I only had two children both born and christened in Kent, though they may want to know later on whether or not they are Men of Kent or Kentish Men, particularly when one is a woman!!

Janet

Comment

Neither of my children have been christened anywhere, so there's nothing of that nature to find. They were both born in the same room 2 yrs apart in what used to be the workhouse, and that fact will be lost unless they pass it down.

Comment

Both my sons were born in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, the first when we were living somewhere else in Suffolk (different Registration District) and the second when we were living in Norfolk. They weren't baptised, so they could take a bit of finding. My husband was adopted by his stepfather so that's a problem in itself. However, I think I'd be fairly easy to find.

Jane

Comment

It would be pretty easy to find my birth and I would appear in the 1981 and 1991 census. Then, unless whoever's researching me is aware that I was in Germany when the 2001 census was taken and (will be) in Spain when the 2011 census is taken, I will go missing, never again to be found on UK records . I have been registered at the town hall in both countries, and there are fiscal records, but I'd imagine it would be one hell of a task to track me down without prior knowledge of where I went.

Comment

I doubt whether future family historians will bother looking for baptisms in the later part of the 20th century and in the 21st, because so many children aren't baptised nowadays (I wasn't, nor were most of the others in my family.)
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I have a friend who will confuse. I'll call her Miss SMITH. She was living with Mr JONES for several years so changed her name by deed poll to his. Then they married so Miss JONES married Mr JONES.

A few years later they divorced & she changed her name back so when she remarried it was Miss SMITH to Mr BROWN.

That should confuse them.
              Glen

Comment

My son in law's brother ... was a Smith but when he was getting married his girlfriend did not want to be called Smith .... so he changed his surname to hers .... that should confuse the children.

Jean
                Jean....the mist is starting to clear

Comment

They'll have a job to find me!

Never baptised, but nicely registered (and born in the old workhouse, lol). Lived in three differrent counties in my childhood, then a spell in Scotland, then London,(at least eight addresses) then Aylesbury then Cornwall (five different addresses here).

Three changes of surname. Lied about my age on several census.

But that is naught compared to my eldest daughter! Born in Hertfordshire which is now London. Took a double-barrelled surname when I married for the second time. Went into the forces where she used her original surname. Married twice, between marriages reverted to her birth name. Lived in several different counties/countries. Divorced again and has now changed her name by Deedpoll to MY maiden name, lol!

This last bit will have future researchers scratching their heads worriedly and wondering if the man (my then husband) who was named on her birth cert, was not her biological father! (He was, for future googlers, lol)

OC

Comment

Working...
                  X