Pictures of Brighton and Hove - see where they lived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pictures of Brighton and Hove - see where they lived

Apologies if this has already been posted but there is a fantastic photographic collection of Brighton and Hove through the years at The James Gray Collection
    I live locally and I still look at them as a street comes up in a census and like to see where they lived.
    If you need any help pinpointing where a specific street is/was in the 'city' please post and I will try to help.
    Enjoy
    Allan

Allan - how fascinating, I can see I'm going to be looking at this a lot as I live quite near and visit often, I've just added it to the Wiki as it wasn't there.

Comment

Hi Jill
      I am fairly new to this site and didn't know where best to put it. Thanks for your help.
      There are some great pictures especially of pre slum clearance.
      Regards
      Allan
      (nearby on the A24)

Comment

Many thanks for the link Allan

I have many connections with Brighton and Hove, and am sure I will use the site very often
        Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Thank you Allan for posting this. Brighton is my home town and I've just found a lovely 19th century picture of the road we lived on when I was little which includes the church where I was baptised. I'm looking forward to exploring the site some more.

Ann
          ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
          Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

And now I've found a photo of the maternity hospital where I was born. It's a very imposing looking place and I've never seen it before! What a fantastic site.

Ann
            ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
            Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Great site, thanks Allan.

Now, how do I find out where my Dennings were in Hove?

I remember looking for the street when I visited a friend nearby in Aymer Rd, and taking a pic of the house (No 55 I believe) - so why have my pc and my Denning folder got a distinct lack of addresses thereabouts?

:o

Gulp - I think I will have to trawl through the unsorted heap in front of my screen!

Jen xx
              "I try to take one day at a time but sometimes lots of days attack me at once"

;)

Comment

Hi Jen
                If you find the address but can't decide on the volume of pictures, let me know.
                I have a few old map of Brighton and Hove that may show streets no longer around.
                Regards
                Allan

Comment

Hi Allan

Thanks - I will come back when I find the info. I know the street is still there - I have the photo I took of the house but I probably shouldn't put it online for the sake of the privacy of current residents.

I have now been through the desk heap, the ringbinder, the box file, 2 notebooks, my PC and Ancestry to no avail. :(:o

Ah well - I will be back but may be some time!

Found it! Good old Nat Archives. It was Tamworth Road and I found a new rellie (dying in childbirth). Still don't know where I originally got it from.

I have looked at the site; it is in Vol 16 and there is a nice picture so thanks once more, Allan.
                  Last edited by Jen Red Purple; 17-04-09, 09:54. Reason: found name of road

Jen xx
                  "I try to take one day at a time but sometimes lots of days attack me at once"

;)

Comment

Working...
                  X