Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many occupations were your ancestors involved in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many occupations were your ancestors involved in?

I apologise now but I am sure most people would agree if the ancestors were are trying to trace were hatched, matched and dispatched in the same locality our quest would be a lot easier. Also doing the same occupation as your father did helps.

Researching my own family trees (by that I mean my OH's branches too), as well as my father's and mother's ancestry. I have found boot makers, cotton reelers, factory owners, brewery owners, a philantropist, gilders and grocers to name just a few occupations to be involved in. Also for the 1860s onwards my family did travel from Nottinghamshire to London, something I would have thought was rare in those days. Also occupations changed from generation to generation.

Pre 1850 is going to be a bit problematical as far as OH's damily is concerned as they came over here to escape the pogrums. Even if I found out where they are buried, a lot of the grave stones would be written in Hebrew and I wouldn't know I'd found the right spot if I fell over it.

So what sort of variances have you found?

It would be easier to ask me what occupations stick for more than two generations, as the list would be quite short!

Erm.....ag lab, shoemaker, mariner and butcher are the only ones where I have several in a row, but mainly their occupations twist and turn, though there may be a connection even if they don't do the same job.

Ag lab to factory worker to gas fitter to school teacher to architect shows how one line increased their level of education.

Another thing, let's say a man has an occupation and six sons - one son has the same occ as his father, and two sons have an associated occ, but the other three have something completely different. This is a common situation in my tree.

Comment

I have been able to trace on my mother's grandfather's side, three generations of bootmakers plus a great uncle in the shoe trade. The great uncle was the one that was an officer for the Industrial Poor House just outside Brighton, so the trade was definitely kept in the family. Perhaps if I carried on going back I'd find even more book makers but am stuck at 1851 with Richard and Harriet Smith.

Comment

Most of mine are "Ag Labologists"

Comment

I have one who was a master tailor, parish clerk, enumerator, and parish constable all at the same time..... I'm surprised he had time to sire all those kids...:D

The rest of mine are all ag labs or labourers of some sort! although my maternal grandfather managed to be an egg and poultry inspector ( egg packer ;) ) Postman and was in the Army for a while.

Hubbies are better with carters, Primitive methodist ministers, managers - what ever that means... black smiths white smiths.

Comment

Redacted

Comment

Mine are mostly Quarrymen or going down pit or t'mill, then my gradfather broke the mould, he became a bus driver, he had hold of the reins.
              L

Comment

Apart from all the ag labs my Cambridge branch are all tailors/tailoresses/sempstresses/shoemakers. I have a lot of Norfolk branch who became Metropolitan policemen. My Warwickshire gt grandfather and his brothers all moved to London and became dairymen/milk carriers and similar.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

All Dad's Lancashire/Yorkshire ancestors were involved in the production of cotton or wool cloth with the exception of a couple of tinners, the Lincs ones were ag labs. Some of Mum's Sussex branch were sailors who worked in forestry when ashore, 2 sub-postmasters (one of whom was also "blind" on 2 census entries, the other was also the local bootmaker). Then there are 3 families of interrelated grocers all of whom came from London.

Comment

Most of my dad's side were agricultural labourers and my mum's were coal miners, though I did find a blacksmith today.

Thanks to Ancestry's hints, I've had a very successful day and have finally found my great grandparents and a few of their ancestors. :D

I'm a happy bunny. :D
                    Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

Mum's side were all coalminers. There was a carrier and a couple of mariners going back a couple of hundred years.

Dad's side there are lots of different ones - farmers, tie makers, managers, registrars, inn keepers, army men, dentists.

If you spread out a bit on Dad's side then there are JP's, majors, surgeons, vicars, bishops and many more!

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Father's side a bit elusive though have found:

bakers, blacksmiths, engine drivers, canal workers, plasterers, labourerers and teachers all in Ireland.

Mother's side:

ag labs, carpenters, shoemakers, watermen, marine engineers, sailors, army, police, night watchman, groom, bailiff, governess, pupil teacher, tailors, parish clerk, linen weaver, molecatcher, hempdresser and a poacher! All in Northants and London

Comment

On my maternal grandfather's side, I have five generations of carpenters back to the early 1800s - every son/grandson seems to have been a carpenter. Otherwise, I have mainly carters, ag labs and gardeners, although, for something different, in the 1700s I have a peruke maker.
                          Jenny

Comment

Originally posted by jenoco View Post
                            On my maternal grandfather's side, I have five generations of carpenters back to the early 1800s - every son/grandson seems to have been a carpenter. Otherwise, I have mainly carters, ag labs and gardeners, although, for something different, in the 1700s I have a peruke maker.
                            Excuse my ignorance, but what was a peruke maker?

Comment

A Peruke is a Wig.

Danny
                              http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

Comment

Mum's side: Stone masons from Dorset, Coal Miners from Staffordshire, Oxford Wheelwrights and Gypsy Brickies.

Dad's side: Stationers from London, Shoe Makers from Northamptonshire, Painters and Straw Hat Makers from Luton, Beds, Kentish Landowner farmers and Surrey (London) Lightermen.

I'd say 75% of my mum's tree consists of stonemasons and coal miners. It's an absolute joy to find someone on that side that isn't.
                                Hail Spode!

Comment

I have mainly researched my mothers father side of the family.....and they are ALL ag labs from Lincolnshire.

Strangely enough the ancestors who came to Tasmania as convicts had thirteen children...and most of the male became Policemen.

Comment

Ooh yes I forgot one of my faves on mum's side - the vicar of the next parish appointed post Civil War and got rid of when the royalists got back in... so presumably a Parliamentarian. Like most vicars appointed at that time, his name has been left off the list of ministers in the church as if he never existed (my husband tells me that's because technically, they weren't Church of England) but fortunately for me he kept the parish records in the 1650s and told who he was and when appointed on the first page.

I'm also descended from numerous churchwardens, on both sides, a parish clerk and a sexton on mum's, and a Georgian/Victorian church singer also on mum's. So a lot of church connections.

Comment

shoe makers,cider makers,silk sweavers,coal mining,servants,valets,missioneries,priest.
                                      brenda xxx

Comment

Mainly general labourers! A retail jeweler and an engraver on my dad's side.
                                        And some factory workers in B'ham early in 1900, bead, bikes and umbrellas!

And my favourite a fish and chip shop owner (yum yum) who branched out in to making crisps and went bankrupt!
                                        Clare

Comment

Working...
                                        X