help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help needed

hi all im totally new to this site i have started to do a family tree. i am trying to find relatives ...moore from suffolk walsh from rathlin island ireland . rayners london and hukins from sussex. also i have a photocopy of a death certificate where it states that he died in 1921 but the death was registered in 1931. why would that happen??? also is it possible to check the census at kew ? i have tried looking them up on ancestry but when i click on to view record all i get is the name. for me to get more info i have to pay. but i dont want to pay all that money if i dont know its the correct one im looking at. sorry for all the questions but would be grateful for any help however small..

Welcome to FTF, Mr Hook. The tried and tested method is to work backwards one generation at a time. So, if you you know your date and place of birth, do you know your parents' dates and places? Some people get stuck at this point if they were adopted or their parents weren't married. Once you have definite dates/places of birth for your parents you can find them in the General Register Office (GRO) index on Ancestry and other websites. You need to send for their birth certificates, unless you are 100% certain of the names of your grandparents. And so on. It's surprising how far you can get back, but it does take money to confirm that you are still tracking the right family.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Hello mr hook, welcome to FTF.

The late registration sounds interesting but may be due to a number of reasons, some of which stem from the different acts that came about during the early to mid 1900's (eg widows pension, factories and shops act etc).

The online census records available at the main sites are all subject to a charge, either by subscription packages or pay per view. A site called Freecen has transcripts of census records (but no images) although it is far from complete at present.

Alternative ways to access Ancestry; local libraries often have access and you just need to book the pc. There is also a free 14 day trial option that is worth considering. A lookup request can also be posted on this (research) board too, the only stipulation being that the names of living people are not published on the publicly available parts of the forum.

We have a reference section on site called the wiki, you might find some of the articles are quite useful to give you some tips about where and how to look for some online records.

You may find the following pages especially useful, one gives links and reviews for the main free, subscription/ppv and the new style "share" sites

Online Research - Family Tree Forum

Another page relates to searching the census and has screenshot examples of searching via Ancestry, it also illustrates how a small change to search criteria can have a marker change on the results and how you might be able to locate an elusive ancestor.

Census Search - Family Tree Forum

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Originally posted by mr_hook666 View Post
        also i have a photocopy of a death certificate where it states that he died in 1921 but the death was registered in 1931. why would that happen???
        It could be as simple as a mistake with one of the dates.
        also is it possible to check the census at kew ? i have tried looking them up on ancestry but when i click on to view record all i get is the name. for me to get more info i have to pay. but i dont want to pay all that money if i dont know its the correct one im looking at.
        Yes, you can look at the censuses at Kew, including the 1911 census so if you are near there it might work out cheaper for you than subscribing to the census sites or buying credits, but don't forget that ancestry offers a 14-day free trial and if you take that you would be able to look at lots of entries (they don't have the 1911 census on there yet though). If you do take the free trial then make sure to cancel in plenty of time if you don't want to pay.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
        X