Another 1911 Question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another 1911 Question!

I've found separate records (but same family) on 1911 where the person in question was born in Sardinia. One is an Italian subject and the other is British by parentage. For both of these the enumerator has pencilled in the word "Resident" next to the place of birth ie Sardinia. I'm not sure what this actually means in relation to these people, resident here or Sardinia?
    The Italian subject is staying with her Grandparents (British) and the other is in lodgings.
    Your thoughts on this please!!
    Sue

Hi Sue, I would think it means their home is Sardinia but visiting England. I'm surprised the enumerator didn't write visitor too.
    Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

I think the fact that the word Resident was used instead of Visitor made me think twice about this. It's not very clear what he meant tho' I expect he knew, lol
      Sue

Comment

I have seen this on earlier censuses and have taken it to mean

"I am a Russian subject, but I am resident in this country (England) rather than just visiting it"

"I am a British subject (by virtue of my birth) and I am resident in this country, rather than just visiting"

OC

Comment

That makes sense OC.

After writing my last post it occurred to me that what the enumerator(s) had written must have been standard as one was in Wandsworth and one in Essex. However, I'm not finding either of them after 1911 apart from the British subject returning to UK from Argentina 1914 after the death of his father!

Thanks to the Wiki I've found a very helpful forum for Italian genealogy and may eventually try and get some certificates (they even supply standard letters in Italian for users to copy!)
          Sue

Comment

If you go onto the 1911 census site and click on "About the 1911 census" and "Birthplace codes" you will see that they had separate categories for "Italy Foreigners Residents", "Italy Foreigners Visitors", "Italy British Subjects Residents", "Italy British Subjects Visitors", "Italy Naturalised British Subjects Residents", and "Italy Naturalised British Subjects Visitors".
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

My Great Grandmother had Resident penciled in next to her pob (Ireland) on the 1911 Census, and she had been living in England since 1881 so I agree with OC.
              Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Working...
              X