Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sale of Genes Reunited

According to Ancestors Magazine April 09:

"GR is to be sold by Parent Corporation ITV, following the broadcasters announcement of disastrous advertising revenues for the last year. A spokesperson for ITV has confirmed that the site will be sold along with the rest of the Friends Reunited Group, of which it is a member, and that negotiations are already underway with potential buyers. In the meantime it is business as usual for the site, which has just added a new mapping feature, using Microsoft Virtual Earth, allowing users to view the locations as described in census entries up to 168 years ago".

Janet

That doesn't surprise me - when I read articles about them selling Friends Reunited and saw how much they were hoping to get for it I thought it must include GR. I hope someone good buys it!
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

whoever buys it will still be taking the problems why we all left,it will be the same but maybe different owners,i like it here brenda xxx

Comment

I hope everyone who still has a tree on GR - and ONLY on GR - backs it up somewhere else.

I wouldn't imagine GR would be a very enticing buy for anyone at all. It has "had it's day" in my opinion and needs a massive overhaul. As the only value of the site is from advertising revenue then I can't see there being a bidding war over it!

The only intrinsic value of the site that I can see, is the huge amount of personal tree data, including LOTS of information about living people, which could be valuable to some companies - but not those who have family history as a first interest. Remember that EVERYTHING you put on GR belongs to THEM, not to you, and they can do what they like with it.

OC

Comment

Interesting point OC wrt the data uploaded via your trees.

I wonder if they keep backups of all the data uploaded, or if you upload a new tree with spurious or no data that will automatically overwrite everything you have ever loaded up via your tree? and stop the miners of data.http://www.familytreeforum.com/image...s/laugh8kb.gif

If that's the case then I'll over write mine now with the one from ancestry with Gengis Khan and Queen of Sheba as my rellies.

L

Comment

The number of names they claim to have never reduces so i suspect the truth is they at least log the quantity in each tree, should that tree ever be deleted the figure still remains in their totals.

I question the totals anyway, xxx million names include all the mulitiple entries across several trees? one name in my tree appears in at least twelve other trees, i would imagine for statiscal purposes it is counted as 12 distinct names and not one name duplicated 12 times.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
            My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
            My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Please don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. Or to put it another way, "lies, damned lies and statistics".
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by brenmac View Post
                whoever buys it will still be taking the problems why we all left,it will be the same but maybe different owners,i like it here brenda xxx

Bren, you never know - maybe whoever buys it will get some active mods involved on the forums?
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I wonder why their advertising revenues were so disastrous? I have no idea how these things work - does that mean not enough people were clicking on the ads, so previous advertisers weren't renewing?

Comment

I for one found the ads. a distraction and turn-off. Perhaps I'm untypical or just not in the market for what they were advertising.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Ditto UJ - I did and still do, find the ads distracting and actually off-putting sometimes if they are flashing ones.

I suppose that advertisers have no loyalty and go where the traffic is heaviest - like Face Book for example, and other similar sites. GR has sat on its laurels for a few years now and lost its way in my opinion.

OC

Comment

I can't say I ever saw the ads, because I use an adblocker. I believe a lot of people switched to Firefox or used the .za site because the ads were so extremely intrusive, and sometimes carried viruses.

Comment

I only go there very occasionally and find the ads so annoying I have to stop! I certainly don't look at them, let alone click on one

Anne

Comment

GR has gone drastically downhill in the last 3 years in my opinion....allan:(
                            Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                            oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                            adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                            merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                            coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

I'm using the site at the moment and don't notice the ads at all.
                              Asa

Comment

i have a tree on there, but it hasn't been successful. maybe the new buyer's will fix those damned hot matches!!

Comment

My tree on there has only two living people - my wife and myself - and our dobs are imprecise and slightly incorrect as a precaution against identity theft.

Comment

i know lots of people who have their trees on genes back to their grandparents.the trend among people seems to be put a few names on then find out it costs money for certificates and information then decide its to expensive.
                                    they never pay a membership fee because they wait for about a week for members to contact them and if other members dont they abandon their tree.

i sometimes wonder how many people actually pay the members fee perhaps not that many.
                                    the meercat.

Comment

I left Genes Reunited after subscribing for many years fed up with not getting replies.

I subscribed recently as I found someone on there I needed to contact and have had two good contacts resulting in photo's of close family names and reunited a Granddaughter and Daughter with a copy of her Grandfather's and Father's Service Record.

When the new people take over I hope they will clear the site of trees that are redundant I think that is the cause of people not answering and it is not fair to those of us who are serious about researching.

Regards
                                      Jill

Comment

When the new people take over I hope they will clear the site of trees that are redundant I think that is the cause of people not answering
                                        I'd second that! Do you think they might google 'GR', and read this - and other comments! - and sort things out a bit?

I must say though, that I've had two or three very good contacts from GR, and several fairly good ones, so though I don't go on there much I do keep a tree on there.

Bee.
                                        Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
                                        COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

Working...
                                        X