1911 Query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 Query

I'm sure I've seen threads here before about there being a problem viewing "inmates" of institutions. Does anyone know if it is it better value to look at a transcript or the original image?

Thanks
    Sue

I've looked at both, transcript & original.....I found the original far more informative.

Comment

Does the original give the name of the institution? I thought I'd read that it didn't but I may well be wrong!
      Sue

Comment

Sue that's right they do not. You have to buy both transrcript and original to have all the details (unless your lucky and your inmate is on page 1 of schedule!). I was one of the people who didn't think this was too fair, but FMP seem to have stuck to there guns on this, so no way round it as far as I know.

Comment

BOTH images I thought that one was better than the other and was trying save wasting credits:(

Thanks for your help anyway
          Sue

Comment

I'm sure when I got mine, I hovvered over the image somewhere and got the institution...

Comment

I'll give that try first Peppie! Thanks
              Sue

Comment

Hi Sue,
                One of my ancestors was also in an institution in 1911. If you buy the transcript and scroll down to the bottom lefthand corner of the page there are details of the name,address,and Governor of the institution. I ended up buying both as the original gives details of occupation,place of birth etc but not the address. A bit cheeky of FMP; their charges are pretty hefty as it is! If you have a pretty good idea which institution your ancestor is residing, try searching for their name using that address e.g Maidstone Prison.

Comment

Thanks Kazza

I've just looked at the original, I'm sure its her but still didn't know WHERE she was so had to pay for the trancript too (she was in the Workhouse!!)
                  Sue

Comment

On the image for my grandfather (if indeed it is him) in Pentoville prison - the instituion isn't named on the image and cannot be got by hovering over it. I had to get the transcription where the information is on the bottom right hand corner.

Also the image had been scanned in upside down or uploaded upside down.

Comment

Originally posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
                      On the image for my grandfather (if indeed it is him) in Pentoville prison - the instituion isn't named on the image and cannot be got by hovering over it. I had to get the transcription where the information is on the bottom right hand corner.

Also the image had been scanned in upside down or uploaded upside down.
                      Snap :D:D Exactly the same, including the upside down part:(
                      Sue

Comment

Working...
                      X