Family Historian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Historian

I wonder if someone can let me know whether you can do BMD searches with Family Historian and if so can you compare it with Ancestry.Co.Uk

Regards

John King
    Last edited by 2001woosnam; 28-03-09, 07:14.

Sorry - I don't really understand

Family Historian is a program for your computer. It is not connected to the internet. You use the program on your own computer to build and record your family tree and all the information you find. You can also use it to draw many kinds of family tree from the information you have put in.

Finding records is something different. You need to look on the internet, or at local county archives or libraries for BMDs and census information. Internet sites include Ancestry, Findmypast, Familyrelatives and such like - all of which need a subscription fee. Alternatvely FreeBMD is a free site with a very comprehensive listing of BMDs from 1837 to about 1910.

Anne

Comment

Family Historian

Hi Anne,

I'm sorry about my stupid question! - I had a feeling that FH could not be used for BMD searches but I was confused by their "features" statement which says that you can "search for your ancestors in Websites across the Internet using FH's integrated Internet Search Tool"

My Ancestry renewal Subscription is due in April and I was just wondering whether FH could be used instead - obviously not!!! Put it down to my old age!!

Thanks for your advice.

John

Comment

Are you sure you mean Family Historian.
        Family Tree Maker does allow you to do searches across the internet (through FTM but via Ancestry) for people in your tree - but you would still need an Ancestry subscription to be able to do this.
        Elaine

Comment

Family Historian

Hi Elaine,

No, it's definitely Family Historian that says about "searching".

John

Comment

I have the Demo of this program and yes, you can use the internet to search. All it does though, is open up Ancestry or FamilySearch in your web browser and you search as normal.
            Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Well, I never noticed that before!

All it does, as Wendy says, is to list the various internet sites and take you to them. It is not 'connected' to them in any way. It is quite a useful list and saves you having to Google each site.

Anne

Comment

Family Historian

Thanks again Wendy and Anne - you've given me what I wanted to know. I'll continue with Ancestry and The Genealogist.

John;)

Comment

Just to clarify, on FH if you select a person before doing the search it will do basic name searches on ancestry. So from that point it does integrate, but not to the extent which Family Tree Maker does, as obviously the FTM designers are part of the Ancestry team.

FH will also search the IGI for you as well.
                  Jane
                  Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
                  "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

Working...
                  X