Oh dear, please could I request help again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh dear, please could I request help again

It's still my brother in law's lot I am afraid, and yet another one is giving me so much trouble.

Ann Percival Stephenson born 1840 in Teesdale (illegitimate daughter of Margaret Stephenson, no father given on birth cert).

I can find no trace of her (have tried Stevenson and also just by surname) in ANY of the censuses, and nor does she appear to have married. There is a possible death for her in 1921 in Teesdale, aged 81.

Please could somebody give me a tip on how else to search the censuses for her?
    Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Did Margaret marry? Ann may be on the census under the married name.
    Have you found Margaret on the censuses?

It's always possible she died young, unless you know different.
    Tracy

Comment

Thanks for that, but no I didn't think of looking under Margaret's married name - I will do that now. I don't think that Ann died before the date that I found, because I have searched.
      Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Comment

Nope - she is not under her mother Margaret's married name. It's not surprising really, because Margaret didn't marry until 1864 so that's three censuses where it wouldn't apply anyway.

Comment

Have just double checked the censuses to see if she was with her mother, but no she never was.

Comment

Possible sighting in 1841

HO107; Piece 1247; Book: 13; Folio: 4; Page: 3

Jane

Comment

No census yet, but she married in 1870...

Marriages Jun 1870
              STEPHENSON Anne Percival
              Teesdale 10a 386
              Tracy

Comment

Tracy, once again I feel a fool........how did you find that? Am I going daft and blind. (Don't answer that)

Will go and check the 1841 census now

Yes - that is the correct one Jane, thank you for that.
                Last edited by sally; 27-03-09, 21:22.

Comment

I just put in 'Ann* P' Stephenson into FreeBMD and up she popped
                  Tracy

Comment

HO107; Piece: 2387; Folio: 306; Page: 4

Jane

Comment

Jane, I must apologise profusely, because I have just found that one and should have said.

Comment

According to 1851, Ann had siblings!

Georgiana Percival Stephenson, c1844

They're with their mother in 1861.
                        Tracy

Comment

She married John Reynolds Brown. Can't find them in 1871, but they're together in 1881 and 1891.
                          Tracy

Comment

Yes Tracy, Georgiana is my brother in laws direct ancestor and I have sort of finished her (thank goodness).

I was just looking in 1881 for John Reynolds Brown - I couldn't find them either in 1871

Comment

Found them - Class: RG10; Piece: 4944; Folio: 10; Page: 11

and 1901, I think - Class: RG13; Piece: 4657; Folio: 6; Page: 4
                              Tracy

Comment

Thank you so very much once again for your help Tracy - I will go and study it all now. I still cannot understand how I missed that marriage, but then again I have missed obvious things in the past

Comment

Working...
                                X