Help finding death records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help finding death records

I've been trying to find death records for my great grandparents, but haven't had any luck so far, so I'm hoping the experts here can help. Their details are:

Joseph Ord b. 1876 South Hetton, Co. Durham.
    Elizabeth Short b. 1877 Murton Colliery, Co. Durham
    Married 26 Sep 1896 Dalton-le-Dale, Co. Durham

I've found them on censuses to 1911 and very much doubt that they ever moved from Co. Durham. I know that Elizabeth was alive in 1955 and that she was a widow then, but that's as far as it goes. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Where have you already looked?
    Tracy

Comment

I've tried Ancestry, Free BMD and Durham Records online. I'm currently wading through the search results at Find My Past.
      Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

Have you actually trawled the indexes on Ancestry? I mean the images and not the FreeBMD data that is on Ancestry.

These go to 1983

Comment

id start by looking at the actual images on ancestry for elizabeth's death in 1955 or there abouts.

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret in Burton View Post
            Have you actually trawled the indexes on Ancestry? I mean the images and not the FreeBMD data that is on Ancestry.

These go to 1983
            I hadn't. I'm obviously a novice when it comes to searches on Ancestry. Doh!

Thanks, Margaret & kylejustin.

Comment

Don't worry. There's no such thing as a silly question here.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Looks like I've found them in the indexes. :D

Elizabeth A. Ord Q2 1957 Durham E. 1a 345
                Joseph Ord Q1 1948 Durham E. 1a 357

Presumably, the only way I'll get more info is to order the certificates?

Comment

[quote=lorry53;1635761]Looks like I've found them in the indexes. :D

Elizabeth A. Ord Q2 1957 Durham E. 1a 345
                  Joseph Ord Q1 1948 Durham E. 1a 357

Presumably, the only way I'll get more info is to order the certificates?[/quote]

Yes I'm afraid so.

Comment

There was a thread that mentioned a searchable NE newspaper archive a while ago, i had a quick search but offhand i can't think of the best keywords that will find the thread.

I tried one of my surnames (Goulson) and all the results found were in fact Coulson entries, it might be worth hunting down the site and trying a search for Ord entries too.

Another trick i have found is to google the name and add either a place or year onto the search, it doesn't always work but i did find an transcribed obituary for one rellie on a personal tree site that was useful.

If i can find the details about the newspaper site i will add it to the thread.
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Here we go

Untitled Document

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I've just had a look and couldn't get my head round it. There doesn't seem to be an index of papers that have been digitised and the search is a bit basic.
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

TBH i don't think it covers anything as late as the 1920's let alone as late as the 1940's but i did a sneaky search under Coulson and got a few hits,

it might not solve the query Lorry posted but the Coulson and Durham connections (as per signature of Lorry) might prove useful
                          Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 28-03-09, 18:18.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Thanks for that, Glen. Not the easiest of sites to find your way around, but I've bookmarked it for further investigation.

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret in Burton View Post
                              Yes I'm afraid so.
                              I thought as much. Thanks, Margaret.

Comment

Working...
                              X