Infant Orphan Asylum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infant Orphan Asylum

If a child was in the Infant Orphan Asylum Hackney Middlesex is there any way you could find out the childs parents and circumstances.

I have William Richard Gibbons born 1839 to Jonathan and Mary Ann Gibbons. The parents I haven't found since in any census. In 1841 census is William Gibbons age 3 in the Asylum. I assume that is a Workhouse.

Is this the same William and if so what happened to the parents.

Can anyone help please

June

Do you know Mary Ann's maiden name?

Comment

And Jonathan's occ would probably be on the birth cert too.

Comment

"orphan" didn't mean what it does today....usually one parent would be dec'd though, but someties a child who had two living parents might get taken into such an establishment for some reason or other.

There's a Jonathan Gibbons aged 45 b Bethnal Green on the 1861 census who I can't see easily on the 1851 or 1841.

I have to go and fetch a prescription before the chemist closes....back later!!

Comment

In 1851 he's Jonathan Gilton

Comment

Yes. Her full name was Mary Ann Venables King.

Jonathans occupation isn't very clear. It could be cordwainer although it looks like cardmaker. His father 's occupation was shoemaker.

Comment

I've just realised that information was on their marriage certificate.

On the birth cert Jonathans occupation looks like Printer.

June

Comment

I'd be interested to know the details of those two census records you found Merry.
                The name Gibbons has always been a problem with the spelling and i've looked and looked and you found it just like that.

Unfortunately I haven't got access to the census at the moment.

June

Comment

Jonathan's middle name is Oakley. Have you pursued this? There are several Oakley Gibbons on freebmd. One is born Stepney 1841. He dies & in 1846 Joseph Oakley Buttress Gibbons is born in St James. He moves to Medway & is a leather seller. I can't follow through as I don't have Ancestry, but this may be related, even if not Jonathan's sons.
                  Phoenix - with charred feathers
                  Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Hi Phoenix

Yes I do know about the Oakley middle name. Jonathans Grandmother was Margaret Oakley so it has been used in the family quite a bit.
                    The two you mentioned were Jonathans cousins. (The children of his father's brother.)
                    June

Comment

Working...
                    X