Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which one is mine?

Hi all,

I have hit a brick wall with my 4th Great Grandmother, and wondered if any one could help.

I am looking for Elizabeth Dicken, who was born around 1790, at Egginton in Derbyshire. The problem is, the IGI shows two christenings, one in 1788, and the other in 1789. How can I find out which one is mine?

The only other Dicken name I have is a Sarah Dicken, who was a witness at Elizabeth's marriage in 1810. The marriage also says that Elizabeth was from the parish of St Werburgh, Derby, but I have tried to follow this up with no luck.

Elizabeth's children's names also reveal nothing. None are named after the parents of the Elizabeth's in the christenings, apart from Mary, but her mother-in-law was also called Mary.

The records are;

Christening - 2nd August 1788, Egginton, Derbyshire
    Elizabeth - daughter of Richard & Mary Dicken

Christening - 25th October 1789, Egginton, Derbyshire
    Elizabeth - daughter of James & Lydia Dicken
    Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Have you looked through the Egginton burial register to see whether either of those two died young, Tippin?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Tippin,
      I've just had a look at Genesreunited and see there are 2 trees with Elizabeth Dicken b 1799 in Egginton. Have you seen these and if not could they be connected and maybe help?
      There is another tree on there with James Dicken c1763 in Egginton so possibly the one you have identified as father of Elizabeth b1789.
      Margaret

Comment

SARAH DICKIN
        Christening: 22 FEB 1792 Egginton, Derby, England
        Father: JAMES DICKIN
        Mother: LYDIA

This may sway you towards the second family

JAMES DICKIN
        Spouse: LYDIA HANFORD
        Marriage: 03 NOV 1788 Egginton, Derby, England
        Last edited by Jammy Dodger; 28-03-09, 00:58.

Comment

tippin, does lydia as a name run in your family?

Comment

well,

I think if it were me, I would be looking to follow these through the census, and see if the parents do end up living with one of the children. I know its a long shot, but maybe worth the effort.
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the input. I think I will try to find the parents on the census' first, but I don't hold much hope!

As for the names of the parents, none of the names run in the family, except Mary, but that was also the name of Elizabeth's mother-in-law, so George & Elizabeth's daughter could have been named after Mary Parker.
              Families Intrested in
              Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                well,

I think if it were me, I would be looking to follow these through the census, and see if the parents do end up living with one of the children. I know its a long shot, but maybe worth the effort.
                Wow, I think I could have paid off.

The only record I could find was off James, born abour 1761, living at Melbourne, with a daughter Elizabeth, born 1791. The only problem is that he is married to another Elizabeth. I can't find any records for them though, perhaps James has remarried.

Thanks again.
                Families Intrested in

Comment

Working...
                X