X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coroners records vs Newspaper report?

Hi
    I have a 1941 death of Roy Merry aged 15, I have the death cert
    place of death is stated as "In a ditch, in a field, Upper Manor Farm Hereford"
    Cause of death: Accidental death due to multiple fractures to the skull.
    The lad in question is My great uncle, his twin Rex died aged 16mths.

I have contacted Hereford records office regarding the inquest, they do have the coroners reports, as it's less than 75yrs ago I need permission from the current coroner to gain access. Apparently this is a formality and HRO have given me the info to contact him, they have been very helpfull.
    They also say that Hereford library have local newspapers for 1941, too recent for the records office.
    Shall I get both the coroners reports and the newspaper report? Or maybe just the newspaper report?
    Am I right in thinking the coroners reports would not mention anything personal i.e. his background, why he was at the farm etc...

Roys address was given as Dr Barnardos home, Stepney.

What does everyone think?
    I have not had the chance to get a coroners report before, I have only had 2 inquest in my family history untill now.
    Would it be quite graphic in saying what had happened to this poor lad? That does put me off a little

Thank you for any advice
    Sam

I haven't seen an actual coroner's report so I don't know what to advise as regards that, but I would definitely get the newspaper reports if I were you - I should think the paper would have stuff about his background etc as well as a report on the inquest itself.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Get both. Each time I read a newspaper report on anything I have knowledge on, I realise how many facts are wrong or misinterpreted.

If you feel it might be too upsetting for you personally to read - best mate found the description of her great aunt's death in a tram accident extremely harrowing - you could ask someone not emotionally involved to read it first.

A lot of coroners records are destroyed, so it would be worth acquiring a copy while you think of it. The alternative is that you leave it for a few years, and then discover you have missed your opportunity and are left wondering what really happened.
      Phoenix - with charred feathers
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

How very sad, poor kids.

I couldnt get my GGF's coroners report, even though it supposedly still existed. I was told that anyway, it would just be a precis rather than the full hearing. A kind soul got me the newspaper report (1912) and it was very sad but it did give me an insight into the life of my GGP and their family.

Comment

coroner's report's are utterly gruesome. they have to be detailed to prove the person died by accident.

i'd still get it, because they are also fascinating. but if you are the squeamish type, get someone to read it first and get them to tell you what is in the report that you want to hear.

my family have had quiet a few inquests. two turned out as heart attacks, one was a gunshot suicide, another fell in the bathroom, one was a horrific car accident, my grandmother's brother died in.and one was a little girl smothered by a bag of oats in the shed.:o i feel for her all the time.

but if you want to know about your ancestors then they are so good at the last moments they had. they are sad though. be wary.

Comment

The one newspaper report I got (1870s) was pretty detailed and included witness names and statements (one was his son who had come from another town to give evidence), employment history and his words as he lay fatally injured. It also had medical evidence, a bit gruesome as he was a railway worker who had a accident at work.

Comment

Thank you all for your thoughts, I think as I have the opportunity to have both, then I will.

Sam

Comment

I looked at a coroner's report from the 1930s for an FTF member. There was a standard postmortem form with various organs and their condition recorded on it, plus a space for other comments. It wasn't particularly gruesome, just clinical.

Personally my nosiness would overcome any queasiness I might feel.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Redacted

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post

Personally my nosiness would overcome any queasiness I might feel.
                    A woman after my own heart;)

Thank you all for your thoughts, I have contacted Hereford Library for the newspaper and I will telephone the coroners office on Monday to see about permission to view the report
                    Sam

Comment

I would obtain both. I have coroner inquest reports for two of my ancestors in the 1870s, in Suffolk, which are fascinating to read and to see the signatures of my family. Also, someone copied out for me a newspaper report about the death of an ancestor for me.
                      Joy

Comment

Working...
                      X