masonic research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• masonic research

Just wondered if anyone knows how to research an ancestor's connection to a masonic group.My step-grandmother was Daisy Isabel Horne born 1899,died 1953 at Congleton.She was a female grandmaster of a lodge in the Congleton area and we have various insignia and other items confirming this.I think a woman in this role must have been quite unusual and I'd like to research this if I can.She married my grandfather Frank Bailey in 1946 almost 5 years after the death of my grandmother.
    Liz
    my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

You could try the Grand Lodge but are not likely to get very far; masons are a tight-knit group and do not like ' strangers ' prying into their affairs, but nothing to lose by asking !

Comment

Thanks BC will look into that and see how far I can get !!
      Have sent an email to the library and museum section .
      Last edited by congletonian; 26-03-09, 22:17.

Comment

Redacted

Comment

This is a link to website of the United Grand Lodge, with links to email for genealogy enquiries on the home page:

The United Grand Lodge of England - Home Page
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I actually found it relatively easy to trace my GGF's progress through the Masons, up to Grand Master.

The Secretary was very helpful. I didn't feel there was any secrecy involved at a genealogical level at all.

OC

Comment

Penelope

It would probably be worth you contacting the grand lodge through the link given above anyway. I have always found them to be very helpful in the past.

Liz

For general information - there are also all female lodges of masons, which I think you will find is what the connection is. I don't think there are quite as many however.
              Barbara

Comment

Hi Liz, my grandfather was a Buffaloe, which is effectively a poor mans version of the Masons. I contacted the lodge where he was a grand primo and they looked at the info they had available, unfortunately they didn't have much in the way of records for c1948 but they were helpful anyway. I don't know if it makes a difference being a Buffalo rather than a mason, but I'd still give them a try if I were you, but be specific about what information you require.
                Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

freemason ancestor

Thanks for your help everyone.I had a reply today from the united grand lodge librarian in charge of genealogy research but only re men!However I was given details of websites re women freemasons.I'll put them here as this might help other researchers:
                  Womens Order of Freemasonry

Home Page

droit-humain.org.uk

grandlodge.org.uk

I spoke to my sister today as she has all the masonic regalia etc belonging to my step-granny and she says that she was grandmaster of Hypatia Lodge which she thinks was somewhere around Stoke.I've been searching for it on the internet but can't find it so far.Anyone else heard of it??

Liz

Comment

Liz, ask your sister for the lodge number. It's possible that the lodge is no longer there and has been replaced.
                    Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

My grandfather was a Mason and it is mentioned in his death notice in the newspaper, but I don't know much about his involvement. It would be interesting to research.

Some years ago OH and I went to his boss and wife's "Ladies Evening" - I'm afraid we guest all got the giggles as they took it so seriously and it was rather ludicrous, especially after a couple of glasses of wine!
                      Elizabeth
                      Research Interests:
                      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

My husband has been a Mason for a great many years - contrary to popular belief, there is no secrecy about who or who is not a member, and although the actual ceremonies are not made public they are doing everything possible to remove the "mystery".

If you would like to pm me Liz I may be able to help you out - however, as I see that it is a Lady Mason you may find it easier to pursue this route solely, rather than go to Grand Lodge or wherever..........the men are not keen on women Masons and it is a separate thing entirely

Elizabeth - some of them can be rather pompous and serious but 99.9% of the men are good, genuine and generous people. (I agree, the Ladies Nights can be a complete bore, but around here they are light hearted and good fun!). The main point is, they raise vast amounts of money for charities that need it - such as childrens hospices or the air ambulance and more importantly, smaller charities that are overlooked in the main.
                        Last edited by sally; 27-03-09, 19:40.
                        Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Comment

Thanks Jules,Sally,Elizabeth.I'll get the lodge number from my sister if she can find it and see if I can trace Hypatia lodge.It's always fascinated us that Granny Daisy was a freemason and a Grandmaster too.My sister remembers her very well because she was 6 when she died.I only know her from photos and what I've heard from my sister and my parents as she died the year after I was born.Apparently she was a lovely person who would help anyone in need so I can quite understand the charity side of being a freemason would be appropriate for her.

Liz

Comment

I completely agree with what Sally has said - my GGF was a Freemason and when he died in 1947 there was a full page spread in the Manchester Guardian, detailing his rise through the Masons.

I know that my GGF did a great deal of charitable work and I also know that much of it was unknown at the time. It is only through my family history research that I know, for instance, that he supported his cousin's wife for 43 years (and her children) whilst her poor husband was in a lunatic asylum.

He also housed his dead wife's three unmarried/widowed sisters for more than 50 years, and his son's wife's sister.

He was also a devout non-conformist and attended his Methodist chapel every week of his adult life. He was a good man by anyone's lights and I don't grudge him a funny handshake!

OC

Comment

Just a quick note to say that I have also had a prompt and useful reply when submitting a query to the Masons. I only found out that my g grandad was a mason when I found his obituary in a newspaper and it said that my g grandad was buried with "Full Masonic Honours". It is certainly worth making contact with them.
                              herky
                              Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

I always thought the Masons were tightlipped about their members. I have e-mailed the Grand lodge in the hope they can give me information on grandfather, uncle and possibly great grandfather, as they were all Masons.

Comment

Lorraine

Not in my experience, they aren't! Secretive, that is.

The only secrecy you are likely to encounter is over living people (quite rightly) and over their rituals, although I have seen quite a few books by Freemasons which explain these rituals and "secrets" most satisfactorily.

There may be "funny stuff" going on at a very high level - how do I know - but the vast majority of Freemasons are ordinary, decent and charitable people.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                    Lorraine

Not in my experience, they aren't! Secretive, that is.

The only secrecy you are likely to encounter is over living people (quite rightly) and over their rituals, although I have seen quite a few books by Freemasons which explain these rituals and "secrets" most satisfactorily.

There may be "funny stuff" going on at a very high level - how do I know - but the vast majority of Freemasons are ordinary, decent and charitable people.

OC
                                    I agree over the living freemasons, divulging personal info would not be right. I can say in the case of my rellies that they are no longer with us.

Comment

I have a recent Year Book for the Lady Freemasons, if you let me know the name & number of the Lodge, (& it is still in existance) I can give you the snail mail address for contact.
                                      Bridget

Comment

Presumably the Guild arm that covers geneology is voluntary, does anyone know roughly the waiting time to get a reply from the initial contact?

Comment

Working...
                                        X