Census lookup please 1861

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Census lookup please 1861

I have found a few references in the London Gazette dating to around 1860 for a chap who had some patents and similiar relating to gas meters:

Job Goulson, of No. 37, Ponsonby-,place, Vauxhall Bridge-road, Westminster,

Can anyone find him in the '61 please, sorry i can't say for sure where or when he was born or if he was married etc.

1876 there is also a report via the LG that puts a Job Goulson in Berlin (i also found something on a German site yesterday with mention of "gassenme???")
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Not having much luck with this Glen.
    Elaine

Comment

Not to panic, i have a hunch that he is one of mine (three chaps by the name in my tree) but i can't really pin much down for any of them.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Glen,

do you have a John Gullson in Newhaven, sussex in 1881? he was born in spalding, lincs (1855).. and I remembered what you said about the Goulson/Gullson name,

Class: RG11; Piece: 1073; Folio: 12; Page: 19
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I can't say that i have Julie

There might be a link somewhere as the Goulson name seems to be in most parts of Lincolnshire at some point and the ones around Bourne tend to use the variant quite a bit.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

can you see this as its the 81 cens?

Enable Cookies - Ancestry.co.uk
            Julie

Comment

Thanks Julie

I have added him as unrelated for now and copied the census details across, saves looking for him again months down the line :D

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

no probs...

I know what its like when you find something, then lose it, then spend hours looking for it again...
                Julie

Comment

How about Benjamin Goulson and his patent for turning things into sugar?

Full text of "Patents for inventions. Abridgements of specifications relating to sugar. A.D. 1663-1866"

A.D. 1829, December 14. N 5877.

GOULSON, BENJAMIN. " Certain improvements in the manu-
                  " facture of farina and sugar from vegetable productions." These
                  are as follows : The roots " of dahlia, carrots, turnips, beet,
                  " mangel wurtzel, and potatoes are well washed or deprived of
                  " their peel ;" " they are then steeped, either whole or cut into
                  " slices, in pure water and an acid." "Any acid substance or
                  " acid salt will answer the purpose/' but sulphuric acid is
                  preferred. To every hundred pounds weight of roots employing
                  two pounds of acid for dahlia, and the quantity of acid required
                  varies in the order in which the names of the roots are placed
                  " up to ten pounds for every hundred weight of potatoes." When
                  by steeping the root can be rubbed by the hand into a paste, the
                  liquor is run off and the roots washed until they cease to have an
                  acid taste, when they are dried in baskets in the sun or in a stove,
                  and " ground into powder become farina." This farina is con-
                  verted into " saccharine matter or sugar " by boiling " with acid
                  " and water in the proportion of two pounds of acid to one
                  " hundred pounds of farina." " The roots of the dahlia may be
                  " converted into sugar without being first made into farina " by
                  steeping " the roots in acid and water in the proportion of ten
                  " pounds of acid to one hundred pounds weight of roots, and the
                  " acid will in the course of three days convert the dahlia into
                  " saccharine. The roots are then pressed, to separate the juice,
                  " and the acid is neutralized. That juice is boiled and clarified
                  " in the usual way, and thus sugar is made."

[Printed, 4>d. No Drawings. Repertory of Arts, vol. 10 (third series), p. SI ;
                  London Journal (Newton's), vol. 8 (second series), p. 31 ; Register of Arts
                  and Sciences, vol. 5 (new series), p. 35 ; Engineers and Mechanics' Ency-
                  clopaedia, vol. 1, p. 489.]
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks UJ

One of the Lincolnshire to Lancashire branch, a surgeon who ended up in Pendleton and appears in assorted Trade Directories throughout the early/mid 1800's. He is also listed as a chemist dissolving a partnership in Pendleton and made some sort of surgical stirrup too.

I have assorted kids for him (1825-1832) but as yet no wife.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

And have you seen the marriage of Job Goulson in 1848 in Southwark (not far from Vauxhall Bridge Rd)?

St Saviour
                      1848 Qtr 2
                      Vol 4, p518

Can't see him after that though...
                      Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Sue from Southend View Post
                        And have you seen the marriage of Job Goulson in 1848 in Southwark (not far from Vauxhall Bridge Rd)?

St Saviour
                        1848 Qtr 2
                        Vol 4, p518

Can't see him after that though...
                        I reckon that must be him, if i'm right he was born c1821 at Ropsley, both parents died pre 1841.

This might be the only sighting of him in the census

Possible 1841 Census return

Name: Job Goulson
                        Estimated Birth Year: abt 1821

Civil Parish: St Runwald
                        Hundred: Colchester Borough
                        County/Island: Essex

Registration district: Colchester
                        Sub-registration district: Second Ward

Household Members: Name Age
                        James Cuming 11
                        Hannah Furning 38
                        James Furning 41
                        Job Goulson 20

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 344; Book: 16; Civil Parish: St Runwald; County: Essex; Enumeration District: 7; Folio: 6; Page: 7; Line: 1; GSU roll: 241380

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

There's an Ellen Goulson b in St Saviour in 1849 - but there's no trace of her after that date either, so that's no help!

Just found the marriage on IGI (but expect you have too!)
                          Last edited by Sue from Southend; 26-03-09, 21:52. Reason: more info
                          Sue

Comment

This little fella could be a clue,

Births Dec 1853 (>99%)
                            --------------------

GOULSON Joseph Page Westminster 1a 226

There doesn't appear to be any other records for the name on freebmd.....i vunder if zis family vent over to Germany und stayed zere?
                            Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 26-03-09, 21:54.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

That stuff from the German site;

Staatsarchiv Ludwigsburg - Archivalieneinheit E 170 a Bü 2083

Bezeichnung des Bestands: Patentkommission der Zentralstelle für Gewerbe und Handel

Archivalientitel:
                              Patent des Job Goulson, Ingenieur in Berlin, auf eine
                              eigentümliche Einrichtung an der Meßtrommel nasser Gasmesser

Ties in with the London Gazette reference also from 1876

John Henry Johnson, of 47, Lincoln'sinn-
                              fields, in the county of Middlesex, Gentleman,
                              has given the like notice in respect of the
                              invention of " improvements in gas meters."—
                              A communication to him from abroad by Job
                              Goulson, of Leicestershire, England, now residing
                              at Berlin, in the Empire of Germany.
                              As set forth in his petition, recorded in the said
                              office on the 31st day of May, 1876

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Well it certainly looks as though they left the country! There are a few J Goulsons heading west but I don't have right membership to check those for you.
                                Sue

Comment

I did find a few bits on the incoming lists before the sub expired, the problem with J Goulson is that there are loads, and that doesn't include variant spellings either.

A quick squint for the surname in our Ged database reveals over 100 instances of the surname all linked to me and precious few different male forenames.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
                                  X