Ancestry world archives project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry world archives project

Have you seen this on ancestry??? They want volunteers - Im a bit surprised by it.

About the Ancestry.com World Archives Project

The Ancestry.com World Archives Project gives people everywhere a unique chance to help save the world's historical records — millions that might otherwise be lost. Anyone can participate by accessing record images in our system and entering relevant names, dates and other facts to make the information searchable online.

As part of the Ancestry.com World Archives Project:

* All indexes will remain free to the public on Ancestry.com.
    * Ancestry.com will donate copies of record indexes and images from the project to partnering government archives and genealogy societies.
    * Images and indexes from the project will be available for free to patrons at thousands of subscribing libraries across the U.S.
    * Ancestry.com will provide free advertising to partnering genealogy societies.

And coming soon:

* Active contributors will be able to vote on which records the project indexes next.
    Currently, active contributors are participants who help index 900+ records per quarter.
    * Active contributors will receive free access to original images in the project’s databases.

Yes, I've been doing some transcribing for them for a while now, Heather. It's quite interesting but unfortunately the software they make you use does its own automatic updates and you don't get the chance to decide whether to go ahead or not, and every time there's an update people with Vista get problems. Anyway, most of the databases at the moment seem to be US ones but there are one or two British ones included.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

do you have to be a paid member and what is it they want you to do ?brenda xxx

Comment

I don't know if you have to be a paid member or not, Bren. You download some images of whatever records need transcribing and type in the info then upload it to ancestry. They have 2 people transcribe each record and then compare them to see if they match - if not then a third person checks and picks which is correct.
        KiteRunner

Comment

I did a few for them but then swapped over to Family Search transcribing as they had quite a few UK ones on offer at the time. I didn't get anywhere near the 900+ per quarter necessary to have a vote.
          Gillian
          User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

I have more than 900 but I haven't seen any voting going on anyway. There is one big UK database being done at the moment - the "Andrews newspaper clippings" one. I quite like doing the US ones too because I'm still hoping to find my g-grandfather's birth somewhere in the US and his father's death too!
            KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
              I quite like doing the US ones too because I'm still hoping to find my g-grandfather's birth somewhere in the US and his father's death too!
              "Enlightened self-interest" :D:D
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
              X