Occupation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occupation

Can anyone hazard a guess at what an agent for the Brampton county court is? also, has anyone any idea at all where this is?
    the occupation is that of the groom's father, the marraige took place in Kensington 1889.
    Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

I've just tried a different google search and have found Brampton near Middlesex. Hopefully I'm getting closer to finding some info on the nightmare that is 'Fitzgerald'
    Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

**EDIT** Image cropped and now on page 2

Do you agree that the occupation for the groom's father is agent for Brampton county court? I can't find any record of it anywhere, so I'm wondering if anyone can help me with this one please.
      Last edited by JulesSmith; 27-03-09, 14:32.
      Jules

Comment

The Genuki Place Name Index at Index of Places in England and Wales lists places named Brampton in nine English counties, but not in Middlesex. I don't know how many of those would have had a court, but a Google search for "Brampton County Court" turns up a reference to one in Cumbria.

The occupation 'agent of the court' is probably a Clerk or Bailiff who acts on behalf of the Court, as instructed.

Comment

Your interpretation of the occupation is more or less what I thought, so that's something. It's the court that is driving me nuts. I can't see that they would move from Kensington to Cumbria... stranger things have happened though I guess.
          Jules

Comment

Looking at the certificate, might it be "Brompton County Court"?

Comment

Thanks Hughar. As Brompton is in London and near Kensington I guess I can start there... much better than Brampton which was giving me no end of problems. BIG thanks
              Jules

Comment

He's "assistant bailiff county court" in 1881.

Comment

Is he? I haven't found 1881 for him... off I go again back to Ancestry
                  Jules

Comment

1881: RG11; Piece: 32; Folio: 77; Page: 20

1871: RG10; Piece: 849; Folio: 59; Page: 26

not sure about 1891....

Comment

Thanks Merry, appreciate the leads.
                      Jules

Comment

Just a thought (and yes, I reckon its Brompton) but as the groom is a post office worker, you may be able to get his pension records?

Comment

i mighn't have paid attention, but didn't he work for the court?

Comment

Sorry to rain on the parade, but it might be a good idea to replace the certificate image with one which just shows the writing. GRO Copyright and all that.
                            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

the groom works for the post office, but the father works for the court. A good idea Heather, I might look into that. Mind you, he died really early so I'm not sure he even got to pension age.
                              Jules

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                                Sorry to rain on the parade, but it might be a good idea to replace the certificate image with one which just shows the writing. GRO Copyright and all that.
                                If you can do it UJ, then please do, I have enough trouble getting any sort of image on here lol. Is it copyright if I've purchased the cert?
                                Jules

Comment

Originally posted by JulesSmith View Post
                                  If you can do it UJ, then please do, I have enough trouble getting any sort of image on here lol. Is it copyright if I've purchased the cert?
                                  Yes it is GRO copyright. Most photo software will let you select a portion of the image, which you can then save as a new file and upload to Photobucket. And I think Photobucket will let you do that as well, but don't ask me how.
                                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

This should do it... it was easier than I thought.

Jules

Comment

now i see!! mail cart driver!! was a bit hard seeing 'cart'

Comment

The Law times - Google Book Search
                                        Sorry it's so long, but this link might be useful. luckiliy the browser makes the link neater!
                                        Last edited by Phoenix; 27-03-09, 18:37. Reason: shrinking link!
                                        Phoenix - with charred feathers
                                        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Working...
                                        X