Another marriage witness question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another marriage witness question

Is there anything in the PRs that tell the relationship between marriage witnesses and the the couple getting married?

I have William Fitzgerald's marriage cert and I am trying to figure out the relationship between him and the witnesses, David Fitzgerald and M Fitzgerald. Unfortunately I do not know much about my Fitzgeralds at the moment, so I can't fit them in anywhere.
    Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

I have only ONCE seen such a thing, and that was in 1785, when two brothers had a double wedding, the Vicar used the Banns book to record the marriage and all the witnesses (13 of them!) signed their names and put their relationship to the happy couples.

(Mother of the groom was so excited, she signed twice for each wedding, lol!)

Normally, there is nothing written to give the relationships of the witnesses to the bridal couple.

OC

Comment

oh fiddlesticks, I thought I had my first real lead. thank you for answering though
      Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

The witnesses didn't (don't) have to be a relation at all. The parish clerk was often a witness.

Comment

The German marriage certificates are the best I've seen for giving details of the witnesses as they give their name, age, occupation and address, but even those don't state relationship to the couple.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

What year and area did he marry in Jules? M could be Davids wife perhaps?
            For instance - in 1929 in Easthampstead a David Fitzgerald married a Minnie Goode and in 1923 in Solihull a David married a Madge Bailey.
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I found a David and Margaret Fitzgerald, and their address in 1881 was the exact one that Mary Ann Leary was living in when she got married. 61 St Clement Rd. I've pasted the cert in my thread 'occupation'. I think possibly that David might be William's brother, but at the moment, its all supposition and guesswork.
              Jules

Comment

I don't know where St Clement Road is Jules but these two marriages look possibles for David -

Marriages Jun 1879
                Braddel Margaret Camberwell 1d 1096

Marriages Dec 1878
                FITZGERALD David Kensington 1a 333
                O'LEARY Margaret Kensington 1a 333

The only other one I can find before 1881 is this possible -

Marriages Jun 1855
                CALLYANN Margaret Chepstow 11a 26
                DRISCOL Margaret Chepstow 11a 26
                FITZGERALD David Chepstow 11a 26

Comment

Ooh now that looks interesting, given that William's new wife is called Mary Leary, and Kensington fits well. I will look into this a bit more. thanks Chrissie.
                  Jules

Comment

You're welcome Jules

Comment

Well I've sent off for the cert, I just hope David's father has the same name and occupation as William's...

BIG thanks Chrissie, really appreciate you looking, I didn't even think to look for the marriage, what a dope!
                      Jules

Comment

I only wish witnesses DID state their relationship.
                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Oh dear Jules, I feel very responsible now. I do hope it's the right certificate. Mind you, we all have to take a gamble sometimes I suppose. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                            I only wish witnesses DID state their relationship.
                            They probably wanted to avoid having to wait for people to work it out exactly - "well, the bride and I are first cousins on my mother's side, but then my father's sister is married to the groom's second cousin once removed, so what does that make us?":D
                            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
                            X