police records on national archives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• police records on national archives?

Does anyone know if there are any records kept? I have a rellie who was a police constable in the 1920's and who died age 30. Problem is he lived around London, born Wandsworth, son born Wandsworth, death registered Lambeth, so I wouldn't even know which police force he worked for!
    Thanks for your time!
    Tessie

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post
    Does anyone know if there are any records kept? I have a rellie who was a police constable in the 1920's and who died age 30. Problem is he lived around London, born Wandsworth, son born Wandsworth, death registered Lambeth, so I wouldn't even know which police force he worked for!
    Thanks for your time!
    Tessie
    He's almost certainly in the Met, so you'd need MEPO class records. Check TNA's website for its research guides on the subject. Little Nell has found lots of her rellies in the records there.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

There's a section in the Wiki, I think, about researching policemen.

There used to be an excellent website, but it closed - I think someone was treading on someone else's toes. :(

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hello Tessie
        if you want to give a name I can have a look at newspapers for you
        Last edited by quoy; 26-03-09, 16:52. Reason: sorry did not find anything

Comment

Its Alfred Hatch between 1921 and 1930. I had a quick flick through the times online and couldn't find anything. Thanks

Comment

I have pmed Tessie, but for anyone else reading this - Metropolitan Police records are at The National Archives in Kew.

You need to find your policeman's warrant number and then their service record. It's quite straightforward. Service records give physical description and details of where and when they were based at various divisions. If they retired from the force their pension record will give their address and often other useful information.

TNA has a research leaflet online about finding police records:
            Detecting your browser settings
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
            X