Canadian Passenger Lists Lookup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Passenger Lists Lookup

Could anyone look at the Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935 on Ancestry for me please?

I can see in the index that Ernest G Coxhead and Gladys Coxhead went to St. John's Newfoundland, but I don't have the right subscription to look at the record :(

TIA
    Bren

Looking for
    WIDDOWS (Norfolk, Yorkshire, Australia)
    SOUTHGATE, TURNER, EBBAGE (All Norfolk)
    COXHEAD (Canada)
    WADE (USA)

HI

March 1919 aboard the Metagama,

Ernest G Coxhead is listed as a Private in the Army and doesnt show an age of the passenger he boarded at Boston Mass USA. Gladys looks to be age 21 and boarded in Liverpool England Gladys is shown as being married and has not travelled out of country of origin before which is England.

Ive also found on the Canadian WW1 records a man to match the above

Ernest Galt Coxhead born in Mimico Beach, Toronto, Canada.
    His date of birth is shown as bieng the 30th Oct 1897
    His occupation Grocery Clerk
    His next of kin at the time of sign up is his mother Elizabeth Coxhead
    He signed his attestation papers in March 1915

Hope it was the right man
    Last edited by WendyP; 26-03-09, 06:17.
    WendyP

Comment

Just a very small point - but on the outgoing passenger information for this sailing (15th March 1919 from Liverpool) on Find my Past - where Mrs G Coxhead is shown on a page headed "Military Dependents" she is listed as travelling to St John NB (New Brunswick) - not St John's NF - could be an Ancestry transcription error - so if you want to be 100% accurate might be worth Wendy just double checking where the original image has them going to.

Also on this list Gladys is shown as 28

Cheers

Sue

Comment

HI

Double checked the requested source and Gladys clearly shows as bieng 21

The index page shows as travelling to NF Canada then when image is opened out it does tally and say Saint John, New Brunswick

Also shows this page of passenger are 3rd Class Dependents
        WendyP

Comment

Thanks for your help Wendy and Sue.

Gadys was my grand aunt. She was born in June 1899.
          My mum told me she married Ernest Coxhead and they emigrated to Canada. I found a marrige on FreeBMD for 1918 and the man's name had the 'G' in it.

I didn't know that Ernest was Canadian, though it would explain why they went out there. (I know they had maybe five children and I would love to trace them if I can.)

This is very interesting info, but I think I must get their marriage cert. Should have done that already, I assumed too much and that is a bit naughty.

Thanks ladies, I'll order the cert today and see if this is the right man
          Bren

Looking for
          COXHEAD (Canada)
          WADE (USA)

Comment

Marriage cert has arrived. (I had already ordered it, but forgot that in my excitement of finding the passenger lists :o)

Yes, it was Ernest Galt Coxhead.
            His rank/profession is given as Private C M ?? then his number, then some tiny writing which I can't read. How frustrating is that

Oh, just had another squint, second word could be engineer?

His father was Leaser? Coxhead, Builder and Contractor Master.

As much as I love to see the old writing it does make it tricky to read sometimes.

The bonus of this cert is the witnesses. It gives me confirmation that these poeple did exist and weren't a product of my mum's confusion. I'm still not sure exactly who they are though.

Once again, many thanks for your help ladies
            Bren

Looking for
            COXHEAD (Canada)
            WADE (USA)

Comment

HI

Oh super. On Ernests birth entry and certain Canadian census his Dads name shows as Ceasar Coxhead.

;)
              WendyP

Comment

Oh Thank You Wendy

I can see it's Ceasar now, the Registrar had elongated the C to look like an L.

Wohoo!!
                Bren

Looking for
                COXHEAD (Canada)
                WADE (USA)

Comment

Originally posted by WendyP View Post
                  ... The index page shows as travelling to NF Canada then when image is opened out it does tally and say Saint John, New Brunswick ...
                  I realize that Bren (ChocolateLover) has found the info she was looking for and that Wendy was just reporting what Ancestry had transcribed, but this seems like a good time to point out that yesterday was the 60th anniversary of Newfoundland's union with Canada. In 1919, Newfoundland was an independent country, although it did revert back to colonial status after the government went bankrupt in the early 1930's.

My wife was born in 1951 and so was a Canadian from birth, but her two older brothers were born as British Subjects.

Tim
                  "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

Thanks for that info. Tim, it's very interesting.

I'm ashamed to say that my knowledge of Canadian history is very poor.
                    I met several Canadians while on a trip to Oz last year and they did educate me a bit, but I think I'll have to do some reading up
                    Bren

Looking for
                    COXHEAD (Canada)
                    WADE (USA)

Comment

I haven't got the link here - but I'd expect it to be in the Wiki - but Canadian National Library and Archives have free online access to the incoming passenger manifests.

They aren't indexed by passenger name but, since you know the ship and sailing they left on, you should be able to find the right manifest for their arrival, because they are indexed by sailing info, including ship name and dates of departure/arrival and ports of departure/arrival.

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Many thanks for that Christine

*goes off to the Wiki*
                        Bren

Looking for
                        COXHEAD (Canada)
                        WADE (USA)

Comment

Just in case it isn't obvious... Now I'm home, here's the link:
                          Introduction - Passenger Lists, 1865-1922 - Library and Archives Canada

Christine
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine. I did find that link earlier, but can't find the ship leaving in March 1919. The earliest date is 23rd April.
                            Bren

Looking for
                            COXHEAD (Canada)
                            WADE (USA)

Comment

Just had another look at Availability...
                              The lists are organized by port and date of arrival. This database provides access to passenger lists for the following ports:

* Québec (1865-1921)
                              * Halifax (1881-1922)
                              * Saint John (1900-1912)
                              * North Sydney (1906-1912)
                              * Vancouver (1905-1912)
                              * Victoria (1905-1912)
                              * New York (1906-1912)
                              * Eastern American coast (1905-1912).

Additional images will be added on a regular basis.
                              So the records you'd want may not show up - tho' the Metagama lists into Québec are there. Maybe they couldn't sail into Québec that early in the year, but could get into St Johns?
                              Christine

Comment

Ah, thanks Christine, that must expain it.
                                Bren

Looking for
                                COXHEAD (Canada)
                                WADE (USA)

Comment

Working...
                                X