Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did a traveller mean in around 1890?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did a traveller mean in around 1890?

According to a marriage certificate I have got of my grandparents, a great grandfather was a traveller by profession. Question is what did this mean, to me it could be the forerunner of being a salesman, he could have gone round the country pedalling potions or other goods.

I know what a traveller means in recent years, but what about then?

Have you tried looking for him in the census records?

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
      Have you tried looking for him in the census records?
      Yes I have and there are thousands of entries, see the Wilson thread. I have absolutely no idea what area he was born, the only lead I have is a six year old that died, it could be in 1901. I think he married an Elizabeth, my guess based on the witness of the marriage of grandparents but I can't be certain. I have been told all my life that grandfather came from Hull, was a Captain in the Army but it could be total fabrication for all I know.

Comment

He would have most likely have been a commercial traveller or a representative for a company.
        That is he was a travelling salesman.
        Cheers
        Guy
        Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

I have a traveller "in biscuits" I believe Merry has a traveller "in tea"

Comment

And I have a traveller in Libby's tinned fruits, lol.

OC

Comment

My Grandmother used to refer to people as "in" something sounded mad - we had friends who were in pit props !! ......... She also used to say so and so the biscuit people lol

Comment

No "travellers" in ladies underwear? !!

Comment

Working...
                X