Help with restore please..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with restore please..........

I'm thinking of restoring my system practically from the beginning, after burning off photos and info etc..........

Think I have done something wrong which has resulted in causing me several problems along the way. i.e, not being able to access certain sites, or areas of certain sites. My tree on GR etc, etc.

Presumably this will be a big job and as I am a complete computer nerd, DIL will do this for me.

We would appreciate any help and/or advice with this please.
    Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

n for Jen as she is desperate ;;;
    borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Have you tried checking what settings you have for security levels in your browser first, before taking such drastic action? Or downloading Firefox and trying that out, if you are on Internet Explorer?
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Jen, when did it start happening? Can you not use system restore to go back to an earlier date before you had the probs.

I have to say the last 3 days Ive had problems accessing some sites - on both Firefox and IE and Grim said its seems to be common at the moment, so dont do anything drastic if its just the last few days you have had problems.

My puter is less than a year old and I can reset to factory settings on mine? I dont know if you can? If not, Id get a proper engineer to wipe it and reinstall everything as the only time I did it myself it was never quite right again, I dont think I downloaded the right drivers. An engineer would probably charge about £40 to do reinstall I think.

Comment

Thanks Kate & Heather,
          Don't really want to do a complete restore, does sound scary. If things don't alter, I may get an engineer to do it.
          I've had this laptop for 2 yrs and it was probably one of the first with vista. There is an unstable driver on it.......I get a message about it every time I log on. But I'm unsure about what I would need to download to address this.
          Jen

Comment

What is the message you get? One of the techis can probably help you.

Comment

Jen have you wiped your pc yet?
              and if not whats happening with your pc please explain as best you can so I can help you.

What you can try is download firefox, install...when installing firefox don't import setting from explorer ok? once installed try to see if you can access your sites if so its your internet explorer browser which is at fault.

If still no joy on firefox post back and we can try something else

Comment

I am having probs with both firefox and IE for last 4 days now. Lots of cant connect to google and then site unavailable try again. Very annoying. I expect a big server is down somewhere as my windows mail is also being a pain.

Comment

Earth calling Jen

Comment

Hi Brian,
                    sorry, only just got on here today.....been quite busy.
                    First of all Brian, its of no use telling me what to do, as I'm too slow and useless with anything technical. My DIL will try and sort things for me when she has the time. I just wanted to ask all the good and clever guys on here for help and advice as to how to go about things, for which I'm really grateful.

The main problems are, I have an unstable driver which I think may be preventing me doing certain things, I always get a message about this every time I log on.
                    I wouldn't know which patch to install to correct this, if there is one.

Some sites I go into but when I try and get around these sites, I can't, it won't allow access.

Think most of the probs on GR i.e, tree accessibility and reply tabs etc, are down to their new system, as others are complaining too.

DIL is sure its not due to explorer Brian as she uses same and has no problems.
                    Jen

Comment

Jen, if you can copy the exact message you get about the unstable driver and post it on here maybe we can find out what you need to do to fix it.

I wasn't thinking that your problems with accessing sites are just because you are using Internet Explorer, which lots of people use, rather that it could be some of the settings that you have within Internet Explorer, so I was wondering if you tried using Firefox if it would let you access the sites or at least give you a message at the top of the screen saying why you couldn't access them and what setting you would need to change. I expect Brian was thinking along the same lines.
                      KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks Kate, I understand now you have explained a little better.

Its going to be a long job sorting it all out, Im not sure if it will allow me to upload to photobucket yet, as I haven't been on there for ages.

I only get the message about the unstable driver when I log on, so its not up just now, I will have to try tomorrow when I come on again.

One more thing I have remembered too, I can't come off the net in the usual way by clicking the red cross and logging off via the box. I have to shut down the computer completely...........weird.
                        Jen

Comment

Yes thats what I was trying to say Kite, problem with me is sometimes I think people know what I am trying to say...but they don't, I'd be the first to admit I don't explain things very well in writing, writing is not my strong point:D but i do try

Comment

Jen, I wonder if it's a problem with your antivirus software / antispyware or firewall? What are you running for those?
                            KiteRunner

Comment

DIL has resolved the unstable driver problem thank goodness, been looking at that message for the past 2 yrs.
                              She downloaded Dell's upgrade, something to do with Roxio's drag to disk. Had to uninstall it and replace with upgrade, so that explains that.

Using Macafee at the moment Kate.

Still not getting the headlines box on home page on AOL, and still not allowing me to sign off either. Don't know whats causing those problems.
                              Jen

Comment

Have you done a system restore to a date before all this started going wrong Jen?

Have you had recent updates from Microsoft? Sometimes when I have them I have problems with logging off on the puter. I have learnt to get rid of the latest updates and then reinstall them and that has worked.

Comment

Hi there, just a quick warning to all, I upgraded to the new Internet explorer 8 and it crashed my computer, it took me three days to get it all back, except Ancestry which still won't let me in. I have no trouble with Genes or any other website for that matter, just Ancestry, but seeing Heather's post - my e-mail is being a pain too so perhaps I will give it a bit longer and see what happens, (I'm off on holiday anyway!)
                                  Alison
                                  Alison

Comment

Alison, have you tried Firefox? Maybe you can get into ancestry that way?
                                    KiteRunner

Comment

Hm, I've now ditched AVG and installed Avast, cleared out all sorts of rubbish from my files etc. even reset all my security settings and I STILL can't get Ancestry on IE or Firefox !
                                      Alison

Comment

Working...
                                      X