Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printing register listing of full database

Lucky last for the morning!!

Does anyone know of a third party add-on that i can use to print a register report of my whole database - FTM 09 won't do it, I have to do it by lineages which gets quite frustrating.

In Australia heading to work so will check back in this evening.

Many many thanks

Carol

I really donĀ“t understand what you are trying to do. Surely a Register Report is based on ancestral lines, so I cannot understand how you could create one which would cover the whole database.
    Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine

Probably Register report was the wrong terminology - what i want to do it print my entire database listing which shows the lineage of each line. I have a friend who does not use a pc therefore if I just print a full name listing it doesn't show the lineages. If I try lineage by lineage invariably someone gets missed.

Hope this helps a bit more.

Carol

Comment

If you want to print showing the lineage then I would imagine the only way to do it is select the lineage you want to print and do that one, then move on to the next.
        There is usually such an overlap in a family tree that I really cannot imagine there is a way of doing the whole thing automatically.

How many people on your tree?
        Elaine

Comment

You need something like Family Historian which I believe allows the printing of everyone on the database or even The Master Genealogist.
          Cheers
          Guy
          Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

I can't see how a program could automatically split a tree up into separate lineages to print either, I think you would have to select the bits yourself.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi everyone - thanks for your suggestions and comments. Will have a more indepth look at the software recommended Guy.

Many thanks

Carol

Comment

Forgive me if I have missed the point. When I bought FTM 2006 it came with a free sep programme "Charting Companion for Family Tree Maker."

One of the reports is an "Ancestor Book" which sets out all the ancestors/relatives of any chosen individual ie both maternal and paternal branches and twigs by generation. Unlike the similar report on FTM you are able to edit it without saving it to another progamme.

Comment

Hi Modem - you haven't missed the point at all

09 does come with the book layout / setup but you still need to do each line individually - unless I am missing something. This is probably one of the reasons why a lot of people wont upgrade from 06 as I see a lot of comments saying that the later versions have lost functionality so they stick with 06.

Maybe I should try and locate an 06 version unless someone has any ideas on this funtionality in the 09 version. Or I may try and get hold of the Charting Companion and see if it is still compatible with 09 - that could be my solution!

Carol

Comment

Elaine sorry forgot to respond to you - I only have approx 2500 but that is up myside and my husbands side. I loaded a combined tree to GR after lots of fiddling as commented above but it did "loose" some in the export - don't know how when I told it to export everyone not just selected individuals.

Carol

Comment

Have just been playing with Charting Companion.

Tried to print an Ancestor Book starting with me but it said I did not have enough memory! So stripped out the notes and images and tried again. Worked and while it prints out BMD details for ALL the main lines, it does not show the descendants of siblings only their marriage partners. Came to 30 pages.

When I want to show sibling children, I print Descendant Books using the oldest individual in each branch as the starting point. You of course will get overlap in the later generations. If I am producing these reports for others I accompany it with a chart, again using CC because it has different layouts and can use fewer pages than FTM.

If you do find something that will do exactly what you want let us know because I would be interested, if only to save a few trees!

Comment

PS Just realised that it was only my paternal line! Sorry. I have my paternal and maternal lines on separate trees.

Comment

Morning Modem

Thank you so much for have a "fiddle" for me with Charting Comp. - what I may do then is talk to Ron and Carol at the Genealogy Printers and see what they can recommend - I don't want anything that can do fancy smancy just something that will help a dear friend that doesn't have a pc!

I will let you all know if there is anything that can assist us.

Carol

Comment

Just a quick update - have posed the question to Ron and Carol at the Genealogy Printers hoping they can answer. I have given them a link to this thread and my other thread about converting ged to csv to ged so they may respond here for all to see - if not I will be sure to post their response.

Carol

Comment

Carol, better check with them (Ron & Carol) if it is o.k. to post it up in that case.
                              Last edited by KiteRunner; 27-03-09, 07:20.
                              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi all

Well it is a matter of keeping on searching and hoping that something will eventually assist in what I am wanting to achieve.

Many thanks to you all for your suggestions - if I do come across anything will update the post or if anyone else does please post as well.

Do you make posts closed on this site or do they just sit - want to make sure I follow the correct procedure.

Carol

Comment

Carol, your post will remain on the forum for anyone else to comment in the future or for any updates to be added.
                                  No need to do anything with it.
                                  Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                  X