Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• converting ged to csv to ged

Have another question to pose to you all

I have a software conversion program that lets me convert my gedcom files to csv for manipulation but... does anyone know what I can use to get it back to gedcom format after the manipulation.

Again - in Australia heading to work so will check back in this evening.

Many thanks

Carol
    Last edited by cbarber; 25-03-09, 19:32.

I would think Ron or Carol at Genealogyprinters would know the answer in a flash.

The only thing i can find is on the GEDmagic Products - Coming Soon! website

GEDxlate - Full version (June 2007 release)

Same features as GEDxlate Lite, plus convert MS Access, MS Excel, and CSV files into GEDCOM format; additional field selections (including Notes and Sources); select specific records; edit capabilities; and more.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

I'm intrigued as to why you would want to convert a gedcom file to csv format in the first place!
      Elaine

Comment

Carol,
        Why not manipulate the GEDCOM file?

Glen
        That's another site I did not know about. Have bookmarked it for possible use.

Hugo

Comment

Hi guys

I use FTM 09 and though I only select certain fields for ged exports it still brings other fields over that once put into the likes of PAF people still get to see what I don't want them to. So from PAF I have to strip down further and re-export again. By using a csv you can do it far quicker but getting it back I haven't fathomed that bit out yet!

Have had a quick squizz at the site you mentioned Glen and that looks promising - didn't think about asking Ron or Carol either - thanks for that.

Many thanks

Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
            I'm intrigued as to why you would want to convert a gedcom file to csv format in the first place!
            All the better for producing custom reports in excel / access / Oo /'any other data app you can think of'.... lol

When all said and done, a gedcom file is just a database... but unfortunately one that isnt readable by the mainstream office apps... hence why conversion to csv is such a good idea until some bright spark creates either a plugin or a macro that allows easy importing into excel / access / Oo / etc..etc..
            https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Grimsqueaker View Post
              All the better for producing custom reports in excel / access / Oo /'any other data app you can think of'.... lol
              I can understand that Tim if you were doing it to create specific reports, but Carol is saying she wants to convert to csv and then back again to gedcom. I couldn't understand why you would want to manipulate the date and then reformat it in gedcom format.
              Elaine

Comment

Just a quick update - have posed the question to Ron and Carol at the Genealogy Printers hoping they can answer. I have given them a link to this thread and my other thread about printing a full tree in one so they may respond here for all to see - if not I will be sure to post their response.

Carol

Comment

If you still need to convert to gedcom from CSV check out
                  acc2ged (Other Software) [Knowledge Base Wiki]

It the article does not cover conversion too CSV as Family historian does this for you using Queries.
                  Jane
                  Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
                  "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

Ta for that - have downloaded it and will have a play - am not unfamiliar with manipulating csv's for various software programs so seems at a glance ok following the manipulation instructions.

Many thanks

Carol

Comment

Working...
                    X