Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTM 2009 Place Names change of default locations

Hi

Just wondering if anyone knows how I can change the version of FTM 09 I have so it will locate UK place names before US place name - as this has just been reinstalled on a new pc all I seem to be getting are US based locations unless I have already added the UK ones.

In Australia and about to leave for work so may not get back to any responses until this evening OZ time.

Many thanks

Carol

I don't know the answer Carol, but I'd like to know because it gets really annoying being offered address options in Idaho or California when you want Bethnal Green!

Will watch for an answer!

Comment

FTM advise it can't be done but I'm sure it must be able to as when I used FTM 08 and possibly 09 before the service pack I got more UK based locations than 09sp1 gives - and my system is set to English UK all the way through everything. So I am sure they changed something on the upgrade that's why I posed the question here really.

The only thing I can think of that changed it was that my upgrade was done online and that is a US based site so it retained those settings. Am defintely not purchasing a full blown copy just to get UK back - not at this stage anyway!! If frustration reigns enough I may give in and do that and hope that the Service Pack with full UK listings is packaged in with it.

Will definately post if I find out any more.

Might try logging it as a bug rather than as a query with FTM. Maybe if more of us did the same they may do a fix so that you get a country preference for locations on install.

Carol

Comment

Have you tried asking on the Family Tree Maker forum. There is a resident 'expert' named Russ Worthington who is usually very helpful.
        Using Family Tree Maker Forum
        Elaine

Comment

No - didn't know about that one Elaine - ta for that will give it a try.

Carol

Comment

They are 6 forums covering different aspects of FTM.
            Click on the following link and scroll down to the "Genealogy Software and the Internet" heading.

General

I have used them on more than one occasion, always with good results.
            Elaine

Comment

FTM Upgrade or not

Originally posted by cbarber View Post
              FTM advise it can't be done but I'm sure it must be able to as when I used FTM 08 and possibly 09 before the service pack I got more UK based locations than 09sp1 gives - and my system is set to English UK all the way through everything. So I am sure they changed something on the upgrade that's why I posed the question here really.

The only thing I can think of that changed it was that my upgrade was done online and that is a US based site so it retained those settings. Am defintely not purchasing a full blown copy just to get UK back - not at this stage anyway!! If frustration reigns enough I may give in and do that and hope that the Service Pack with full UK listings is packaged in with it.

Will definately post if I find out any more.

Might try logging it as a bug rather than as a query with FTM. Maybe if more of us did the same they may do a fix so that you get a country preference for locations on install.

Carol
              Hi Carol & Lindsay.
              I am using FTM 2006 and was considering an upgrade.
              I have a similar problem which is more than annoying. I have had several places in Western Australia moved to USA, Mt Gambier in South Australia moved to Denmark (Europe) and other places in Oz or the UK reset to the land of Big Macs and French Fries.
              I've had to go back to every entry and type the locality out without abbreviations. Changing NSW to New South Wales though is a bit risky; could get mis-identified as the Left hand side of the British mainland.
              My upgrade will have to wait until FTM removes this weird bias.
              Cheers,
              Gullielmus.

Comment

I have logged a call asking for a fix / enhancement - so will just have to wait and see if they take it on board.

Elaine I also tried the guys on the options you offered but they also where unable to assist.

So here's hoping but don't your breath anyone!!

Carol

Comment

Working...
                X