date and age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• date and age

I'm trying to narrow down who's who in an old family photo album. I wonder if any of you can give me an idea of when a photo was taken and perhaps the age of the peron in it. I shall attempt to upload the image - well I've attempted that and the image was tiny. I need a bit of advice of the best way to upload an image - if there is already a link about this - please let me know.
    thanks

Many of us use photobucket for this

How to Use Photobucket - Family Tree Forum

good luck!
    Last edited by Jill on the A272; 25-03-09, 20:03. Reason: spelling

Comment

save photo in your pics or documents.then on photobucket press uplaod and it will ask you to browse click were photo is then click ok it is now in photobucket.then left click then right click bottom line and copy,then come on her right click and paste.....presto brenda xxx
      Last edited by Guest; 26-03-09, 13:36.

Comment

Thank you. The thing is the photo is one of those victorian little cards and I have scanned it in to the pc. The end result is a small pic in the corner of an A4 image. This is fine on screen and can be enlarged but doesn't enlarge well after uploading with photobucket. Do you think if I cropped the photo before uploading the image would be a better size. this is the image from bucketshop before cropping etc - as you can see it's not good.

Comment

Hi there, if you google your photographers, there i8s a bit about them by Roger Vaughan who knows his stuff! He says a photo with that back will date from between 1882 and 1902. If you can manage a slightly bigger photo we should be able to narrow things down.....good luck..

Comment

Originally posted by judkels View Post
            Thank you. The thing is the photo is one of those victorian little cards and I have scanned it in to the pc. The end result is a small pic in the corner of an A4 image. This is fine on screen and can be enlarged but doesn't enlarge well after uploading with photobucket. Do you think if I cropped the photo before uploading the image would be a better size. this is the image from bucketshop before cropping etc - as you can see it's not good.
            You need to crop it before you scan ~~~ here are some instructions

And when you upload it to Photobucket make sure you have the file size option set to the maximum

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

So far I've found ref for the Bristol address ~~~ Andrew and George Taylor.

It says they were at no 1 Baldwin Street from 1879 - c1898 then it says 'last entry' 1907

Here's a link

The Studios of A. & G. Taylor

Another ref says they were at the Newport address from 1884 - 1890
              Last edited by Rachel Scand; 26-03-09, 15:40.
              ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Is this a better image. I hope so I've experimented with the scanner and so on.

Comment

wow well done brenda xxxx

Comment

this is the back of the Louise photo. Is it possible that the origonal photo was reprinted. It is just that there is writing on the back whose name suggests someone much earlier than 1884 or there abouts. Does the lady's costume agree with the era of 1880s. Now I look at her do you think she is a young person in her 20s or much older?

Comment

How good to see the photo at a nice size ~~ well done

Her hair looks to be parted in the centre and her ears are exposed
                      I know this will indicate the year it was taken ~~~ the experts will tell you about the sleeves and possibly date it from that.

Interesting that there's a portion of sleeve showing on the right

She could very well be around 20, although the image is unclear.

Irritating that it's not possible to see if she's wearing a ring
                      Last edited by Rachel Scand; 27-03-09, 12:21.

Comment

Thank you for your observations. Somone has written Louise Phillips on the back. My Grandmother was Mary Anne Phillips married to George Herbert Hazell about 1889. they lived in Newport and I'm wondering if this could be a relative but how -sister, mother.Trying to investigate a family with the surname of Phillips in Newport sounds a bit impossible. I've got another 20 or so other family photo's.!

Comment

I have to say that the girl appears to be dressed in the style of the 1860s! Her hair and her top fit in perfectly to that period, now if this is correct I know that it was common to have early photos copied. What was your relatives mums name?, whoops you don't know, sorry...

Comment

Working...
                          X