Advise needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advise needed

Hello everyone, could someone help me to find a specific address on Ancestry please. I have tried by just filling in the living location but no joy there, I would be very grateful for any tips

It can be very difficult in a large town where there are a large number of enumeration districts. For small villages or smaller towns you can search through the enumeration description to see if the road/street you are looking for is annotated.

What is it you are looking for?
    Elaine

Comment

If you mean searching a specific address on the census then there is a guide in the wiki,

you have to find the district descriptions within a parish, they list the streets within each district, (once you find the street note the district number) and then you can go through the district image by image

Finding images from a particular parish - Family Tree Forum
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Which census is it? FMP has address searches for some years.

Comment

Thankyou for the tips, the address is 6 Victoria Street, Newark. I have the census for 1881 but then the whole family seem to have disappeard

Comment

Maybe they have been mistranscribed.
            Do you want to give us the family details?
            Elaine

Comment

Elaine, in 1881 he was a builder and farmer employing 100 men, in fact he built the infirmary at Soutwell workhouse a few years previously. His name was William Duke living with his wife Elizabeth and his son William Henry and his daughter in law Alice at 6 Victoria Street, Newark,

Comment

Umm - they certainly seem to disappear!
                Elaine

Comment

Elaine, I did think that they had emigrated somewhere but having scoured Canada, America and Australian immigrants I have come to a dead end on that idea. So I then thought to investigate the address to see if they had been mistranscribed, so, here I am bamboozled! I will try the tips in the wiki, thanks to everyone for the help

Comment

On the 1891 census, 6 Victoria Street is occupied by William White b1834 Pinchbeck, Lincs - and family.

I´ve searched the emigration records on Ancestry and can´t see anything.
                    There doesn´t appear to be a suitable death for either William or Elizabeth between 1881 and 1891.
                    Elaine

Comment

They could have gone to another country, for instance South Africa. One of my lost families finally turned out to hve moved to France.
                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

why they might be missing

London Gazette 27th August 1886
                        Adjudications
                        William Duke, Newark upon Trent builder,contractor and merchant.

Comment

Whilst looking for your Dukes on the cencus Ifound them on the 1871 transcribed as Duke William.Elizabeth William (elizabeth wigley) Lucy William.

I also found
                          King William
                          White William and
                          Pythagoras William

Comment

Working...
                          X