Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dissapearing GEDCOM

Hi

I've uploaded 4 of my trees to the GEDCOM and they dissapear after a couple of days :(

I re uploaded 2 of them and its happened again

So what am I doing wrong ???

Or are they being removed :o

Roger

You can only upload one tree. When you upload a new one it overwrites the previous one.
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine - but why

Its a great way to share information and make connections - but not if everyone only has one tree up at a time

Why have them at all ???????

Roger

Comment

As Elaine says it will overwrite an existing file as detailed in the upload screen 9shown below).

The database is a database of names, it doesn't display a "tree" as such, no relationships, dates of marriage or notes etc are included so there is no requirement for separate files to be uploaded.

It is possible to have all names of interest included in one file and uploaded in one go and still serves to allow connections to be found with other researchers.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Originally posted by RNM View Post
          .... but not if everyone only has one tree up at a time
          I've only got one tree!

It is the way the database has been set up I am afraid - each member/username can upload one gedcom file, but any subsequent file upload just overwrites the previous one. I think if we allowed members to add multiple trees we would possibly find a lot of duplicate names where people had just uploaded the same file - the sort of thing you see on Ancestry where you find one person has 5 or 6 different trees, all basically containing the same information.

Is there anyway you could merge your trees just for the purpose of the FTF gedcom facility?
          Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
            I've only got one tree!

It is the way the database has been set up I am afraid - each member/username can upload one gedcom file, but any subsequent file upload just overwrites the previous one. I think if we allowed members to add multiple trees we would possibly find a lot of duplicate names where people had just uploaded the same file - the sort of thing you see on Ancestry where you find one person has 5 or 6 different trees, all basically containing the same information.

Is there anyway you could merge your trees just for the purpose of the FTF gedcom facility?

Or the GR variant, several entries for a name that are submitted by several different people, ultimately they are often based on one original source and may contain errors, mistranscribed names/dates and assorted typo's.

One of my names appears in 20 GR trees, GR use these multiple entries to boost their total number of names, it would be interesting to see how many of the xxx million names they claim are actually unique names and not duplicated names from several trees. I suspect the true figure is probably less than half of the figure they claim.

Unfortunately people do struggle at times with GED files and get in a right tangle when they try to split or merge files, (our software forum has seen a few queries about the subject), some people don't have the software to even attempt to split or merge files and rely purely on the fact the online tree builders now offer the chance to upload/download files. That in part explains why our database system is kept as simple as possible, for compiling and displaying a series of names and attributing them to a particular member it fits the bill.
            Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 25-03-09, 16:22.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Ok I'll try merging the trees.................

I'm only a member of this forum now - I gave up on Ancestry - but a list of names and birth / death dates is enough to establish possible links. I know that if someone messaged me re one of my names I'd be pleased to establish a link and exchange information. This is only possible if everyones list of names is up permanently - theres no need for whole trees.

Equally, although I agree its a problem on the ancestry type sites, duplication here isn't a problem but a solution!!

Is there a site reason for the limit - re file size for example ??

It's sort of frustrating to think that members may well have a common thread to one of my trees and knowing about it is limited to the chance of us both having the same tree uploaded at the same time ............

Roger;)

Comment

Not sure Roger - I would need to ask Tim - our Tech man.

There are other ways of showing your research interests on the forum, for example the Surname directory in the wiki where you can add your research interests.
                Surname Directory
                You can add the information yourself or leave a message in the following thread and someone will do it for you.
                Surnames for the Wiki

Also, each member has a User Page in the wiki where they can add details of their research interests. You will find some instructions on how to edit your user page at the following link
                Editing Your User Page
                One of the benefits of these pages are that they get picked up by google spiders, so someone googling for something which you have on your user page may bring up a new contact.
                Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 25-03-09, 16:58.
                Elaine

Comment

Roger, a few examples of member User Pages, just to give you an idea of what you could do.

User:WendyPusey
                  User:JillontheA272-1665
                  User:Phoenix
                  User:Vikkibrace-597
                  Elaine

Comment

I have two trees, one for me and one for my husband. I just joined my husband to this site (he didn't mind) and uploaded his gedcom in his name!

Anne

Comment

The size limit is quite generous, the minimum information required for the database is a name and dateof birth (a place is not required but obviously helps to prove a potential connection).

There isn't a simple answer as to how many names equates to a 2MB file, 100 names may equal 250KB on one tree and only 150KB on another but be over 300KB on a third tree, some members have over 7000 names uploaded whereas others find their tree of only 5,500 is over the limit, much depends on the number of characters in a name or pob, search for any name in the database and you will often see England attached to a name when it could easily be excluded without hugely affecting a search.

eg John Andrew Williamson abt 1820, Butterwick-on-Trent, Lincolnshire, England

uses more filesize than

John Andrew Williamson abt 1820, Butterwick, Lincs.

It doesn't look a huge difference but multiply that by 1,500 names and it soon makes a marked difference to the total filesize.

Some people also include names which need filtering (born within the last 100 years and no death date recorded), although these names won't appear in the database they contribute to the initial filesize as does the inclusion of notes and sources and other information such as bmd refs etc.

If you suspect a file is larger than the limit, then stripping out the additional names, sources and notes can drastically reduce the filesize and maximise the number of names you can upload.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Anne - thats cheating

Good idea :D

I think I can merge mine - theyre all interlinked - but unless everyone else does it doesn't really help does it

Roger

Comment

Glenn 7000 NAMES

Ok now I feel like a begginner

how do you get to 7000 I'm back 8 generations and i'm still in the hundreds - and they all bred like rabbits:D

Roger

Comment

Roger, I don't suppose many of our members have more than one tree so I don't think you need to worry too much about that.
                            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

KiteRunner - I saw a thread the other day where everyone on there averaged 15 !!

I think they were just showing off !

Roger : ))

Comment

how do you get to 7000 I'm back 8 generations and i'm still in the hundreds - and they all bred like rabbits:D

Roger
                                No idea, my tree is less than 1000

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Glen - this is rapidly becoming a man thing - mines bigger than yours - and you're beating me : (( !!!

Comment

Ok I'll try merging the trees.................

I'm only a member of this forum now - I gave up on Ancestry - but a list of names and birth / death dates is enough to establish possible links. I know that if someone messaged me re one of my names I'd be pleased to establish a link and exchange information. This is only possible if everyones list of names is up permanently - theres no need for whole trees.

Equally, although I agree its a problem on the ancestry type sites, duplication here isn't a problem but a solution!!

It's sort of frustrating to think that members may well have a common thread to one of my trees and knowing about it is limited to the chance of us both having the same tree uploaded at the same time ............

Roger;)
                                    Hi roger,,

the 2MB limit is an inbuilt default of the script that manages the GEDCOM uploads.. and was set to tie in with the default php upload limits
                                    Research has shown that this limit can be increased, but only by risking the stability of the process... and with the number of names that are now in there, i dont really want to go down this route until there is a 99.9% probability that it is safe to do so

Hope this helps

Tim
                                    Last edited by Grimsqueaker; 26-03-09, 09:54.
                                    https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Anne - thats cheating

Good idea :D

I think I can merge mine - theyre all interlinked - but unless everyone else does it doesn't really help does it

Roger
                                      Roger

I don't understand what you mean by "unless everyone else does it doesn't really help"

I have my whole tree on here, less living people of course. I don't split my tree into separate ones.

I don't really understand why you want separate trees. Mine and my husbands are on together, linked by our children.

Comment

I imagine most people have only one (or like me) two trees. I just split mine from my husband's for convenience of working. I could easily merge the two together as they only have me and our children in common and could be easily done.

Anne

Comment

Working...
                                        X