Advice needed please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed please

someone contacted me on genes this morning asking to view my tree, the person they are looking for is on my tree so I gave him access and asked to view his tree, he told me he is researching for the gggrandaughter of this person, I have just received a message back saying he hasnt put the tree on genes yet but would give me access when he has, now he says he is searching for a friend, is it me, have I read it wrong, didnt know what to do so I have denied him further access to the tree. what would you have done.?

jean

Jean, I have had one or two messages over the years from people who are researching on behalf of someone else and they don't always manage to put that person's tree up on GR because they either have to attach it to their own, replace their own tree with the other person's, or set up another account for it. So he could well be genuine. You could ask him if he can give you access to the friend's tree some other way, e.g. sending you a GEDCOM or let you view it on another site if he has it up somewhere.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

thanks for that kiterunner, I will do that then.

jean

Comment

Jean

I never ever give access to my GR tree at the first time of asking, on the basis that 99.9% of it is of no interest to the person. My normal first offering is a pen-picture of the immediate family and a limited GEDCOM or descendant tree if there seems to be a good fit. If I were you I'd withdraw access, just in case they just harvest lots of names.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

i always ask for definet names and dates and places if they cant give either then i dont brenda xxx

Comment

he has given me names and dates which are correct on my tree, I will just have to hope he hurries up and puts friends details on so's I can put them on my tree, lol.

thanks for all your advice.

jean
            x

Comment

The safest way is to send him a ged file of the branch he is looking at, nothing more, nothing less, that way you are fairly safe in assuming he will not be able to just lift the whole tree at one go and copy it en masse.

A fair number of the names will mean nothing to him anyway and not be a connection so it is pointless handing to much over.
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
              My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
              My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Dodgy isn't the word for me, Jean!

I have Mum's tree under my paying identity - Phoenix (lol!)

Dad's tree is under a different, free identity - using my real first name. Then there's my one name study, under a third and a friend's tree under a fourth!

It is a huge palaver to explain what is happening for any contact who isn't interested in Mum's ancestors.
                Phoenix - with charred feathers
                Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Working...
                X