Help with virus protection please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with virus protection please.

I'm trying to get my brother's computer to work a bit faster.

I've got rid of his temp files (about 2000) emptied his re-cycle bin, and run Super Anti-Spyware. That found over 500 entries but nothing looked really bad.

He has an old version of Nortons on it that he hasn't renewed and a version of something called P-Cillin (from memory a Trend product).

He runs the P-Cillin one although every time he starts up his computer there's a message saying it's run out.

So, he has two anti-virus prgrams but neither are up to date. I tried to delete or un-install Nortons and Symantic through the "add/remove" bit but a message came up saying it was in use......Can I just ignore this??

I thought I'd try to un-install both and put something like AVG or Avast on it for him.

I've used Nod32 since it started so have no idea how to un-install these programs..

Any ideas........(I am a novice....lol).

Hi you should not be running two anti virus programmes together they clash.
    If I was you I'd uninstall both and install AVG free

link to the uninstall Norton

you usually go into your comp and click on the programme you dont want and click on uninstall but after you have done this make sure its all gone ,I usually run the search programme to find any files its missed.
    Dont forget you need a firewall too something like Zonealarm
    Good luck.
    Last edited by Guest; 25-03-09, 11:04.

Comment

Val hit the nail on the head sounds like your running 2 or 3 virus scanners and this will conflict and slow the pc or laptop right up.

uninstall these programs and just run 1 antivirus program 1 firewall and you can put a couple of antispyware programs on there which you can self scan once a week.

AntiVirus avast! - Download antivirus software for spyware and virus protection

System Cleaner CCleaner - Home

Firewall Download ZoneAlarm Free 8.0.065.0 - FileHippo.com

Spyware Download ZoneAlarm Free 8.0.065.0 - FileHippo.com

and remember if your going to use a antivirus suite you won't need a firewall and if your using Vista don't use zonealarm firewall its rubbish with Vista use something like Comodo firewall.

Heres how to uninstall your programs.

Windows Vista

From the Start menu, select Control Panel.

In Classic View, double-click Programs and Features. If using the Control Panel Home view, under "Programs", click Uninstall a program.

Select the program you want to remove, and click Uninstall. Alternatively, right-click the program and select Uninstall.

Windows XP

From the Start Menu, select Control Panel.

Click the Add or Remove Programs icon.

Select the program you wish to remove and click Remove.

Hope this helps you out
      Last edited by Britec; 25-03-09, 11:36.

Comment

If it says the program is running when you try to uninstall it, then you would need to stop the program first - hopefully there is an icon somewhere that you can click on to do this, otherwise you might have to use the Task Manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL) to find it and stop it running that way.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
          ... hopefully there is an icon somewhere that you can click on to do this, ...
          It should be on the 'taskbar', near the clock in the bottom corner of the screen. If you hover over the icons, it will tell you what each one is. You may need to expand the range by clicking on the arrow sign in the circle.
          Tracy

Comment

we uninstalled Norton recently. It was a dog to do. In fact it WOULDN'T do it and OH rang their help line and they did it remotely (which was very spooky!).
            Rose

Comment

Thank you.....

I was trying to get rid of Nortons first through the "add/remove" section but it didn't want to go... When I go back to brother's, I'll force it to go.
              Then I was going to get rid of the other one (still not sure what that was) and put on something else.

I was going to ask about firewalls......but I'll start a new thread.

Thanks again.

Comment

Libby,
                Norton's has a Removal Tool that is very easy to download and run. That's the best way of removing all aspects of the installed program. Just google Nortons removal tool.actually

Comment

Actually Val, now Ive got rid of the zonealarm suite and put on the kapersky one, Ive found my computer is much quicker. I think may be zonealarm really slowed it down on start up and when it updated and scanned.

Comment

;)yes Heather I have been reading a lot of forums recently and they say Vista does not like Zonelarm mine is speeding along now too.
                    I have put a link for the removal tool above Sunny .

Comment

I thought I had too many things on start up Val as I could sit here for literally minutes waiting for the puter to start up properly - now Zone alarm has gone, puter starts up straight away and I dont have the lagging I used to get sometimes when I typed.

Comment

Working...
                      X